Aldeer.com

Processor rant

Posted By: Olbowhunter18

Processor rant - 01/20/18 09:27 AM

I went and picked up my deer from the chopping block in West blocton yesterday. It only took 3 weeks to get it back. This is the 2nd deer I’ve taken to them as it is convient and my old processor closed down. I wasn’t happy with the amount of meat I got back the first time I went there but it was good so I gave the a second try. So when I dropped this deer off a few weeks ago I told the lady I wanted backstraps butterflied, 2 sticks summer sausage , and the rest in jerky meat and she said ok no problem. So when I get home with the meat yesterday and open the box my back straps and sausage was correct, but I only got 4 packs of jerky meat (not cooked, just cut up) and I had about 10 pounds of burger that I didn’t order. So I was a little irritated at this point because I just paid $115 for 4 packs ok jerky, 2 summer sausage and the blackstrap (I don’t like there burger). This was 150# deer shot in the neck. So I call back up there and she tells me there’s nothing they can do they had meat they couldn’t make into jerky )understandable) so they made me burger. She didn’t mention that when I dropped it off or bother to call me and ask if I wanted something other than burger. Needless to say they lost a customer.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 09:31 AM

They could have called and gave you a heads up. I dont blame you i wouldnt go back either.
Posted By: rulebreaker

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 10:39 AM

Sounds right to me once you add it all up. I don't think you have anything to complain about.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 10:43 AM

It would be hard to make all of it into sliced jerky, but 10# is a lot.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 11:06 AM

It doesn't sound like you got but 20-30# of meat back. That ain't right.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 11:10 AM

Did you ask for a price upfront and watch them write down your request when you dropped it off?
Posted By: alight1983

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 11:13 AM

Can they jerky all the meat. Thought you always got some burger back because of the trimmings.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 11:24 AM

All processors suck. I just got to where I get the best end product. Even if it's not the right order, or not my deer, or not enough meat, or 2 weeks late.... if you don't like your preocesseor do it your self. Most people don't processor their own cause it's easier to take it to a processor. Easy doesn't equal quality. Only way to control the quality is to do it your self
Posted By: akbejeepin

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 11:35 AM

The jerky typically only comes from the hind quarter and back strap. By the time you trim of all the fat and sinew to get it down to lean meat, you only end up with so much. It's hard to really tell without looking at what you got back, but you will always have some grind meat. The only free option for the grind meat is burger.

If the jerky packs are 2 lbs each, I wouldn't be surprised if your hind quarters ended up half grind half sliced jerky. Depends on who is doing the trimming.

When you add up what you got back and the summer sausage price per lb plus the base fee, is the $115 correct. Slicing jerky shouldn't cost extra if not cooked. Based on what you say it seems high.

Having said all of that, I have only processed 12 or so, but I was taught by a friend that is a processor. Whatever that's worth.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 12:04 PM

I'd been happy with that. I like sliced jerky but I bought a jerky shooter and I like jerky from hamburger as good or maybe a little better. What you got sounds about right to me.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 12:12 PM

Sizes and weights will vary. Rough scale:

Meat Yields (In Pounds)
Animal Weight* Meat Waste %Meat
Lamb** 50 40 10 80%
Hog 240 189 51 79%
BlkAngus 600 438 162 73%
Holstein 900 513 387 57%
Mature Buck 180 72 108 40%
*Carcass weight. Head, hide and intestines removed

**University of Wisconsin research

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&products_id=331

Another chart with more weights, from 55 pounds (live) and up:

http://www.alfredny.biz/sportsmen/Whitetail-yield-chart.htm

Posted By: M48scout

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 12:12 PM

While you may be a little off, doesn't sound totally in left field. My experience with any processer is that once you start ordering summer sausage, jerky etc, you start to drift off from getting completely meeting what you expect. I would take the fact they gave you back some ground as a positive, at least they didn't through trim that they couldn't do anything else with away. I think they take some amount of meat from your deer and throw in in a larger batch with lots of other deer for their summer sausage. I've been told by processors they only cook the summer sausage every so often, so that's probably part of why it took so long. 3 weeks is a long time though.
Posted By: Groundhawg

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10
All processors suck. I just got to where I get the best end product. Even if it's not the right order, or not my deer, or not enough meat, or 2 weeks late.... if you don't like your preocesseor do it your self. Most people don't processor their own cause it's easier to take it to a processor. Easy doesn't equal quality. Only way to control the quality is to do it your self

ALL - just not true! Sure some are good, some really terrible, and a few do a great job. If you do some "homework" before you have a deer on the ground, ask some questions of friends, and some questions at the processor you can find some fine folks that will do a good job and a fair price.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 12:17 PM

That is certainly in the ball park. You didn't order burger, but what did you want them to do with the trimming meat, throw it out? You are going to end up with some grinding meat no matter what you order.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 12:22 PM

When I get summer sausage I always get an entire batch, because I want my meat, and not mixed with anything else. It takes a pretty good sized deer to do a whole batch of summer sausage.

Other than getting a product you didn’t ask for you’re in the ballpark.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 12:37 PM

I just had a 190 pound buck ground into all burger. They added 10 percent beef fat. It yielded 50-55 pounds of meat.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 12:46 PM

300, someone got some fresh backstrap! Wish it was me! slap
Posted By: JayHook

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 01:19 PM

300 if you didn't shoot your deer all to hell...all they ground was the hams...I do all my own processing. Working on a neck shot buck now that guts in was 175#. just weighed the boned hams...together they weighed 36#

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
300, someone got some fresh backstrap! Wish it was me! slap

It do make you wonder don't it!
Posted By: jmj120

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 02:22 PM

115 dollars would get you around 10-12 T-bones.
Posted By: quickshot

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 02:31 PM

Chopping block is in my opinion one of the worst places to process a deer they tell you as stated above sure no problem 2-3weeks later though you don't have half your meat and the order is wrong not to mention there high price....the one at the 4way in green pond ain't no better
Posted By: robinhedd

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 03:13 PM

A friend of mine told me today that he had taken a deer to a processor, they called & told him come pick it up, it’s $108. When he went to pick it up, it was $180. He paid it!

I told him no way in heck I would’ve done that, I’d have just told them it’s yours. I don’t kill many deer per now, but i do all my own butchering. I know for sure that I’ve got my own deer, and how it was handled. Robinhedd
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 04:28 PM

Get a jerky gun and make the ground meat into jerky.

Link

Sucks that they didnt call you but that is the best thing to do with the ground if you dont like it in burgers...
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 05:27 PM

All these horror stories from processors .ale me feel great about the guy I use. I've known him for years as a family friend. His motto is your deer your way. If order summer sausage it's made with your deer your your own personalized batch in 5lb sticks. It may be cooked at the same time as others but its made with yiur deer he prices right and he's quick it usually takes him a week from when I drop one off till he calls sometimes it's sooner. The deer I killed in November weighed 141lbs on the hoof I didn't weigh what I got back but I got 1 5lb stick of summer sausage,tenderloins sliced, ground the rest and had him came it since I didn't have time. $110 bucks and the meat I got back back filled up a 65qt cooler to the top. I'll have to weigh the next one. We processed one at the house and I feel like I didn't gain any extra meat when we did it vs him.

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: sumpter_al
Get a jerky gun and make the ground meat into jerky.

Link

Sucks that they didnt call you but that is the best thing to do with the ground if you dont like it in burgers...

Not as good
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 05:32 PM

I've taken severla deer to the Chopping Block and was well pleased with their service, selections and final products. The drag it through the creek hot sausage is some counts.
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Whild_Bill
I've taken severla deer to the Chopping Block and was well pleased with their service, selections and final products. The drag it through the creek hot sausage is some counts.

I've never tried severla deer, is it as good as whitetail?
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 05:51 PM

I dropped off a deer earlier this year and he calls me saying he didn't realize how high processing was. He payed right around 400$ for a 120 pound doe
Posted By: James

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ColeT
I dropped off a deer earlier this year and he calls me saying he didn't realize how high processing was. He payed right around 400$ for a 120 pound doe
Good giggley wiggley lol. Highest i paid was $275 i had whole deer made in jalapeno cheddar smoked sausage. Lawd i had so much damn sausage i had to give a bunch away lol....
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 06:31 PM

We have a guy that weighs all your meat in front of you. We took 176# of elk this morning. Gives us an idea of how much you'll get back.
Posted By: pcamper

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 06:32 PM

How is that even possible?
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 07:31 PM

Cole I hope he got kissed, he sure as hell got screwed. Is he insane? I'd said fungu and walked out!
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 300gr
I just had a 190 pound buck ground into all burger. They added 10 percent beef fat. It yielded 50-55 pounds of meat.

This is what I just got back from the chopping block as well right around 50lbs burger on 190 ish lb deer. Their bacon ranch burger is good just fyi.

For specialty meats got to use south's finest in pelham!
Posted By: jmj120

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: pcamper

How is that even possible?

I probably know where Cole is talking about. They do a good job but are pricey. Especially if you get bologna or smoked sausage.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Processor rant - 01/20/18 11:35 PM

I process all mine and had 25# on a 1 year old doe. I take my time and get everything off
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Processor rant - 01/21/18 01:36 AM

Id have been more pissed that it took 3 weeks ive never had one take more than 7-10 days
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Processor rant - 01/21/18 02:34 AM

Im glad i do my own now. If im short on time after a kill ill drop one off but i like the finished product after processing my own.
Posted By: tombo51

Re: Processor rant - 01/21/18 08:53 AM

Always had good luck with the chopping block & I know the owner personally he's a good guy I'm sure if you had a problem & spoke with him about it he would try to make it right
Posted By: Olbowhunter18

Re: Processor rant - 01/21/18 10:43 AM

I called and talked to I’m assuming is his wife and she said there was nothing they could do, but I would now know for next time.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Processor rant - 01/21/18 11:03 AM

processing can get real pricey if you want "speciality cuts" like summer sausage/meatloaf.etc.

burger and cube steak shouldn't run over $60 anywhere.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Processor rant - 01/21/18 02:23 PM

[img:center]http://[/
Just picked these up from Shana. That's a 9lb Bologna block, summer sausage, beer brats, backstraps, tenders, meat sticks, patty sausage, small bologna, burger. Two deer was 199.00
© 2024 ALDEER.COM