Aldeer.com

EHD

Posted By: NightHunter

EHD - 12/13/17 04:58 PM

Just curious who found some dead deer in late summer? And anyone seeing sloughing hooves?
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 05:14 PM

Neighbor near me killed one with hooves falling off last year, another with all its hair falling out. Im probably 10 miles from holly pond through the air. I think the drought had an effect on the deer that is just now showing up myself. Just a theory, really couldnt prove it.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 05:38 PM

Doe I killed Sunday had sloughing hooves Gerald.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 05:43 PM

none in my part of elmore county . they nice and fat
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 06:26 PM

Yes in North Jackson
Posted By: bamamed1

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 06:34 PM

Didn’t find any dead deer but some with sloughing hooves. Saw one yesterday that had all 4 hooves broken off, a couple were all the way to the bone. North Jackson county.
Posted By: therealhojo

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 06:51 PM

We had a doe with bluetongue virus serotype 3 confirmed by SCWDS.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 06:54 PM

lost 3-4 deer to EHD this summer/fall.

Haven't lost any for several years, but I lost seven two years straight before that.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 07:25 PM

One of my farmers found 7 dead racked bucks while cutting soybeans in a 350 Ac field near a swamp. I haven't shot a deer from my yet to check feet. Can't shoot does right now and probly wouldn't.
Posted By: inatree

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 08:02 PM

^^^ that's crazy.

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 08:04 PM

I found prolly 15 dead rack bucks one year, 2008 er so. Several were BIG, OLD bucks no one had seen. Damn near make a grown man cry.

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I found prolly 15 dead rack bucks one year, 2008 er so. Several were BIG, OLD bucks no one had seen. Damn near make a grown man cry.

Yessir it will. Some of us are almost to that point up here.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHunter
Just curious who found some dead deer in late summer? And anyone seeing sloughing hooves?

I was listening to a podcast today that was talking about this. If I understood correctly the sloughing hooves was due the the deer having a fever from possibly EHD or Blue tongue, so, if the deer has sloughing hooves would that mean it possibly survived one of the diseases?

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: bigcountry692001

I was listening to a podcast today that was talking about this. If I understood correctly the sloughing hooves was due the the deer having a fever from possibly EHD or Blue tongue, so, if the deer has sloughing hooves would that mean it possibly survived one of the diseases?

correct
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: EHD - 12/13/17 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: bigcountry692001

correct

Thanks, I thought thats what he was talking about but wasn't sure.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: EHD - 12/14/17 12:01 AM

We have found 17 dead deer that I know of and killed this one today. Jackson County. And I have several other deer on camera limping like this one was. And those carcass finds were just from bush hogging and hunting, not even going to our water sources looking for them. I bet we lost a bunch more.

Posted By: James

Re: EHD - 12/14/17 12:42 AM

It damn sure would...
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: EHD - 12/14/17 09:13 AM

I killed a doe last year in Dallas county that looked like she had it. None this year.
Posted By: Uokman2014

Re: EHD - 12/14/17 11:53 AM

Friend of mine killed a good buck in Limestone County Saturday afternoon. All it's hooves were sloughing. My property is in Madison County and I found 4 dead deer near my pond during September this year. Last year I found ~7... We had relatively good rain this summer here so I was surprised to have seen what appeared to be additional EHD kills. My deer numbers appear to be down ~75% based on sightings and camera's. One thing VERY noticeable is the DRAMATIC reduction in mature buck that I'm getting on camera this year compared to years in the past. Damned depressing to see this happening to the deer herd.
Posted By: booth2

Re: EHD - 12/14/17 12:30 PM

All of the North Alabama and Jackson county reports of EHD don't sound good. I have heard of other folks killing slough hooved deer around my area too (Stevenson).
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: EHD - 12/14/17 12:44 PM

if they have sloughing hooves, what should be done with carcass?

Re: EHD - 12/14/17 01:19 PM

you can eat EHD survivors just fine.

my experience is that EHD has a greater impact on mature bucks than on does.

Re: EHD - 12/14/17 04:12 PM

And to add insult to injury my neighbor shot the best 3.5yr 8 all of us had on camera. For Christ sakes let them recover. I'm not too happy right now. That deer needed to live
Posted By: Bama Bob

Re: EHD - 01/15/18 10:25 PM

Just shot an 11pt with sloughing hooves, he was chasing does and didn't show any sign of limping. First time I've seen this in 30 yrs of hunting. Didn't find any dead deer on the property.

© 2024 ALDEER.COM