Aldeer.com

Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit

Posted By: Garzaboy8

Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 08:05 PM

Killed a nice buck at 430 but I couldn't find him. Will it be alright to let him sit over night till 6 ish
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 08:09 PM

Congrats on the nice deer.
Hopefully CNC will be seeing this thread and respond.

Was this in the Auburn area?
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 08:10 PM

Should be plenty cold enough tonight as long as the yotes don't find it.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 08:20 PM

Yea it was but I can't afford a tracker I know where it is roughly it just got dark and I was in some nasty thick stuff
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 08:29 PM

Yes. Let him wait for sure.

Id look alone in the am, but if it got where I wasnt gonna find him Id call a tracker.

Some trackers work for tips. If its a good buck and you spent that much time...call one that does and see what he will take.

Let him lay and good luck in the am. I hope you find him. Please post pics when you do. If you cant..PM me, Ill post em for ya.

Again, Good luck thumbup
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Garzaboy8
Yea it was but I can't afford a tracker I know where it is roughly it just got dark and I was in some nasty thick stuff

Yes it will be fine to lay over night. Call CNC maybe he can work out a deal with you.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 08:33 PM

Killed a nice buck at 430 but I couldn't find him. Will it be alright to let him sit over night till 6 ish

If you "killed" it, why wait? Go out about 10 or 11 and get him if you want to give a little time. Waiting till morning is just a longer invite for yotes and wasted meat.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 08:36 PM

Can you give us the story?

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 08:59 PM

Yes...youre sure hes dead? You center punched him? His reaction to the shot? You heard him crash?

If your sure hes dead and know the general direction,..get a couple friends, some good lights and go drag him on out of there like bowtech dan said.

If youre unsure, or the hit was marginal , or no blood..then Id back out until daylight.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:05 PM

I shot him in I think the heart and double lung I aimed for the shoulder and he dropped but was still flaying around. Let him sit for 30 minutes and as soon as I started to climb down and get everything packed up he starts flaying around again so I stopped and waited then I got down and by the time I went over there I had a couple of minutes of light left. I know he's dead but I'm not sure if he crawled a couple of yards away or fell into one of the run offs from the ridges . It's super thick and I would get turned around so easily in there and I'm the only one up here at the moment so it's just me dragging him out so I rather see where I'm going and what I'm running into as I'm dragging him out by myself
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:08 PM

Hope it wasn't a back slap
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:09 PM

Go get him before the yotes do. That's why I carry reflective clip-on straps to track blood or where I go.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:09 PM

If I was home I would offer to lend a hand.
Posted By: James

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: BowtechDan

If you "killed" it, why wait? Go out about 10 or 11 and get him if you want to give a little time. Waiting till morning is just a longer invite for yotes and wasted meat.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:13 PM

Garza, where are you?
Posted By: CNC

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:16 PM

Sounds like you’ve spine shot him man. They don’t typically thrash around 30 minutes later from a heart or lung shot. Those shots are typically “run and crash”.

I've got a track lined up for in the morning in Russell Co…If you can’t find him in the morning call me and I’ll come help you on my way back through. It’ll probably be close to lunch. Don’t worry about the money…..
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:24 PM

If you killed it you should know where it is, sounds more like you shot it. Good luck finding it and follow up with pics.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:25 PM

He wasn’t shot in the heart or double linger if he was alive 30 minutes later.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: doekiller
He wasn’t shot in the heart or double linger if he was alive 30 minutes later.

This^^

Heart AND double lung wouldn’t be alive 3 minutes after

Sounds high from all of my experience as well
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:31 PM

Word of experience. If they twitch, shoot them again. Sounds like a back slap. I've had them drop dead, and be gone never to be found by the time I got back with the truck.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:37 PM

When I first shot him he ran about 50 yards and started to wobble but just stood there so I sent another one at him. That's when he dropped

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:42 PM

Do you know where you are?
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: CNC
Sounds like you’ve spine shot him man. They don’t typically thrash around 30 minutes later from a heart or lung shot. Those shots are typically “run and crash”.

I've got a track lined up for in the morning in Russell Co…If you can’t find him in the morning call me and I’ll come help you on my way back through. It’ll probably be close to lunch. Don’t worry about the money…..

Good on you for offering to help him out! Garza I hope you find him but the deer still being alive 30 minutes after the hot doesn’t sound good.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:46 PM

What area of Auburn/Lee Co?

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:52 PM

When I first shot him he ran about 50 yards and started to wobble but just stood there so I sent another one at him. That's when he dropped

Wobble with a tail twitching is classic liver.

Then a backslap knocked him down

Is what it sounds like

He will die.

Give him time
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:54 PM

That don't sound good. Twice this weekend I shot two deer higher than I wanted to, both dropped immediately. One got up 8 min later and ran like her rear was on fire. Never recovered a single deer that's done that in my life. None I've shot and none for others either. The other one I had to kill a few minutes later with a pocket knife. Always watch a deer that drops like it's going to get back up. If it even starts send another one.
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 09:56 PM

Any blood - color? Hair-brown/white? Chucks of meat? Pieces of bone?

Best wishes in recovering him, but if you feel good about the shot - get a friend and find him tonight. Carry toilet paper to mark the blood trail. If it's thick - carry a pistol to finish him off, if he's still alive.
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 10:16 PM

what everyone else has said.... liver, then backslap. get some friends, tape, and a pistol.

curious.... what was the caliber/ bullet used? ranges?
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 10:24 PM

Wait til morning. Good luck finding your deer.
Posted By: inatree

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/11/17 10:42 PM

You will find him! Post pictures when you do!
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 07:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunting-231
Any blood - color? Hair-brown/white? Chucks of meat? Pieces of bone?

Best wishes in recovering him, but if you feel good about the shot - get a friend and find him tonight. Carry toilet paper to mark the blood trail. If it's thick - carry a pistol to finish him off, if he's still alive.

Always carry toilet paper to mark your trail, helps to find the deer and to find your way out.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 07:12 AM

I shot him in I think the heart and double lung I aimed for the shoulder and he dropped but was still flaying around. Let him sit for 30 minutes and as soon as I started to climb down and get everything packed up he starts flaying around again so I stopped and waited then I got down and by the time I went over there I had a couple of minutes of light left. I know he's dead but I'm not sure if he crawled a couple of yards away or fell into one of the run offs from the ridges . It's super thick and I would get turned around so easily in there and I'm the only one up here at the moment so it's just me dragging him out so I rather see where I'm going and what I'm running into as I'm dragging him out by myself

So 30 minutes later the deer is still "flaying around" and you don't shoot it again? Really? We have a duty to kill as quickly as possible.
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 07:14 AM

Are you hunting close to Auburn?
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 07:18 AM

Apparently he doesn't know where he's at or he's poaching because your about the 4th one that has asked him and he has yet to respond. Hard to help someone that wont let you.
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
Apparently he doesn't know where he's at or he's poaching because your about the 4th one that has asked him and he has yet to respond. Hard to help someone that wont let you.

I know, CNC has volunteered his time to help assuming he's hunting around Auburn but we really have not idea where he shot the deer. He could be a student at AU and now back at home hunting somewhere hours away.
Maybe things will work out for him.
Posted By: Huntin' Nole

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 08:32 AM

popcorn popcorn popcorn

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Huntin' Nole

popcorn popcorn popcorn

Don't scare him off I want to see a picture of the deer!

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 09:30 AM

If they are still moving or flailing around SHOOT THEM AGAIN..until the flailing around CEASES.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 09:51 AM

I found him not 25 yards where I stopped learned a valuable lesson today I hit him right above the should and it passed through clean then my second shot was a spine shot. Felt really bad since this was my first buck and he was still alive this morning. Had to kill him without my gun but I've learned a lot from this hunt and I will never let that happen again . I'm dragging him out now I'm 500 yards back and in some hilly thick stuff

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 09:53 AM

nice.

congrats

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 09:54 AM

I'm hunting Tuskegee national forest

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 09:54 AM

Good job! Glad you got him and thats what counts.

You live and you learn. thumbup

Also, always bring your rifle when going to recover one. Often times they are still alive. they are TOUGH CRITTERS with a huge will to live.

Congrats and post up photos! beers
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 10:22 AM

I found him not 25 yards where I stopped learned a valuable lesson today I hit him right above the should and it passed through clean then my second shot was a spine shot. Felt really bad since this was my first buck and he was still alive this morning. Had to kill him without my gun but I've learned a lot from this hunt and I will never let that happen again . I'm dragging him out now I'm 500 yards back and in some hilly thick stuff

Everybody has to learn. hopefully we can learn some things from others who have already learned from experience.

Check your gun and see where you are hitting at 50 yards and 100 yards. I don't like to set mine up so high that I can aim dead on for a 400 yard shot since I'm much more likely to have a 50 to 100 yard shot. I would much rather hold over or dial for the longer shot.

When you shoot,you might as well keep shooting as long as you can see a deer and it is moving,even if the second shot puts one up it's rear end. Some may not agree but that philosophy has served me well. I do however shoot bonded bullets that should penetrate to vitals even from the rear.

Always take your gun tracking and even approaching a "dead" deer. Always be ready for the "dead" deer to jump and run until you have touched it's open eyeball with the gun barrel. If a "dead" deer has its eyes closed it's probably about to jump up and scare the crap out of you and get away.

Only after you have touched the eyeball with your barrel do you unload your gun and set it aside to gut or get ready to drag the deer. Make sure you do unload your gun after you make sure the deer is dead!! You don't want to lean your loaded gun against a tree and forget to unload it in the excitement and have an accident when it falls over or gets the trigger pulled on some brush while you are dragging the deer out.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 10:25 AM

Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession

Also, always bring your rifle when going to recover one. Often times they are still alive. they are TOUGH CRITTERS with a huge will to live.beers

Yep. I learned that the hard way. It's no fun killing them by strangulation.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: MarksOutdoors
It's no fun killing them by strangulation.

Now I gotta hear this story...
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 10:36 AM

When we use to dog hunt I had to finish off a lot of deer. I have a 5 shot New England Firearms .22 revolver, one of those dang little ones, and it was handy to pop em between the eyes.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 10:37 AM

Had to kill him without my gun

I'm not at all poking fun or making light, how did you do it?

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
It's no fun killing them by strangulation.

Now I gotta hear this story...

I heard one of a fella incorporating a puddle of water...

didn't sound pleasant.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 10:48 AM

Sounds like you went for the "high shoulder shot" and found out if your aim is a little off you don't hit the vitals. Aim at the crease just behind the shoulder and this will not happen. Much higher percentage shot.

Glad you found the deer v
Posted By: dirt

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 11:00 AM

Glad you found him.
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 11:02 AM

glad for you ...
Posted By: jono23

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: NWALJM

$10 he Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom'sd it.
Posted By: Shotts

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 11:07 AM

It is amazing what they can survive, I have been fortunate and only had one type incident in my years of hunting and I cant walk by that ravine without thinking about having to finish that deer off after it had laid there about 45 minutes.

Congrats on finding him, good luck on the drag out.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
When we use to dog hunt I had to finish off a lot of deer. I have a 5 shot New England Firearms .22 revolver, one of those dang little ones, and it was handy to pop em between the eyes.

Knew a guy once that carried a hammer in his day bag. Said it was great for starting screw in steps and for dispatching deer. Called it his "ball peen hammer of death".
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: jono23

I say he went Walking Dead and put a blade through the eyeball
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 11:37 AM

That, or it was the ol' "Macho Man" Randy Savage signature Atomic Elbow. Can't miss with either of those...
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: mcninja

That, or it was the ol' Randy "Macho Man" Savage signature Atomic Elbow. Can't miss with either of those...

Had a buddy do something very similar.
Posted By: Grant_UAB

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 12:48 PM

I prefer American History X'ing them on the nearest boulder or stump.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 01:21 PM

I had to strangle him with my drag rope
Posted By: headshot

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 01:32 PM

LMAO, I have killed several with a knife, even stabbed one to death with an arrow. But I've never strangled one. still LMAO
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 02:04 PM

Dang, I hate that for you but glad you got him! I bought a little 22 mag revolver that stays in my pack for just such an occasion.
Posted By: Grant_UAB

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 02:11 PM

That is brutal, but it had to be done. My dad had to dispatch one with a knife a few years back. That deer let out a battle cry roar like you've never heard.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 02:16 PM

popcorn

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 02:23 PM

Yea same I never want to do that again . Just thanked God for everything even that
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 02:26 PM

I'm really glad you got the deer but it begs the question, why in the world did you not have your gun with you when you went to look for him?

Dr. B
Posted By: BibbCounty

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 02:30 PM

Where are the pictures of this mythical creature?

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: BibbCounty

Here you go -
Posted By: BibbCounty

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 02:34 PM

Here you go -

rofl
Posted By: oldbowhunter

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 02:37 PM

Did you have to lasso him?

Like a steer?
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 02:51 PM

Yep. I learned that the hard way. It's no fun killing them by strangulation.

My father in law shot one back 15 years ago or so and loaded it in the truck. When he was driving out he had to stop to unlock the gate and when he did he heard something and looked back towards the truck and the buck was standing up in bed of the truck. My FIL jumped into the back and grabbed the deer by the antlers and somehow was able to jam them under the toolbox. Deer was sluggish but still very much alive. His gun was on seat of the truck and his knife was in his jacket pocket on the front seat. He managed to get the tool box open and found a ratchet strap and got it around the deers head. Twisted it until he thought it was dead and then let off, only to have the deer "wake up" again. He got the strap back around his neck and used an open end wrench to twist it until he heard the neck pop.

I drove up to him while he was still sitting there trying to catch his breath. Dont know how he didnt have a heart attack.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 02:52 PM

I think we’ve got an Aldeer legend in the making here boys! laugh #ruthless
Posted By: jono23

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 03:01 PM

Please get it mounted with the rope around its neck.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 03:04 PM

Hahahahahaha I'm rolling over here. All this is precious, priceless stuff, but to the OP - seriously - nice job on a nice buck and finding and finishing it. You've definitely got our attention. Can't wait to see it!
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 03:06 PM

^^^^THIS^^^^ LOL!
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 03:11 PM

a friend of mine was a preacher at a church close to Eufaula & he tells a funny story at deer camp each year ...

on a Wednesday night, he gets an SOS call -- "hey, a deer's just been hit outside my house -- do you want the meat?" so of course, my friend obliges & next thing you know, this buck shows up in the back of a truck at his church ... with the entire congregation looking on, my friend inspects his Gift from God -- however, the gift rose from the dead & attempts to escape the truck bed...

as they might Biblically say, ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE and my friend pulls out his knife, jumps up into the back of the truck & wrestles the injured deer back down into the bed of the truck while stabbing it & slashing at his throat ... the more he stabs it, the more the buck bellows & bucks & kicks & tries to impale him with his horns!

the Old Testament must've been really awesome days when they offered blood sacrifices!! my friend offered HIS BLOOD as well as the blood of the animal that night ...
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 03:56 PM

Does this thread ever have the pictures of said buck added? popcorn
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 04:07 PM

I have a buddy who killed a wounded deer (archery) with the exact same method 10 years ago.

I also know a guy who finished off an elk with a small, keychain sized pocket knife. I heard the story but glad I wasn't there. Sounded like a scary experience.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 04:14 PM

I don't know how to post pictures on here they need to make it easier

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 04:15 PM

Haha you can scream that 'til you're blue in the face; ain't gonna happen. I pm'd you my number. Send to me and I'll post for ya.
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 04:17 PM

Ah I wouldn't have guessed serial killer. That's pretty bad ass. Congrats
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 04:25 PM

I’ll PM you my cell #, send them to me and I’ll post them for you.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 04:29 PM

sounds like you should have just shot him again

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 04:58 PM

Jeopardy theme song.
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 05:22 PM

Dang im crying over here. This is priceless. Another vote for a mount with a rope around its neck.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 05:45 PM

Still no pics???
Posted By: burbank

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 06:08 PM

Pics please
Posted By: bigbuck101

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 06:21 PM

Without pictures it did not happen.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 06:41 PM

I'll bet that this is a dream of Garza's.
May not have been a whitetail in Tuskegee.
Posted By: bmc77

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 06:43 PM

popcorn

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 06:52 PM

I freakin second this awesome Idea! thumbup beers

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 06:55 PM

Here you go -

No cmon one of you mods. Lets make this Garzaboys avatar! He deserves it. And change his tag line to "The Southern Strangler!"

I like this guy! thumbup
Posted By: MC21

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 06:57 PM

Here are the pics for the OP
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 06:57 PM

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE GREAT BUCK thumbup

I've killed a lot of deer in a variety of different ways, I've never strangled one to death. I worked with a guy that hit one with a car and then kicked it to death with his cowboy boots outside Wetumpka. I asked him why his boots, he said he couldn't get to his tire iron in the trunk of his Mustang and he didn't want the deer to suffer anymore.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession

I freakin second this awesome Idea! thumbup beers

In my younger, less responsible days, a buddy and I were riding a rural bullock county road and saw a big pheasant. Naturally we looked for a gun, had shotgun shells but no shotgun and a pistol with no ammo for it.

I considered throwing a beer can, but deemed it wasteful. I found a sleeve of titleist golf balls. I pulled one out and hoped out of the truck. As I crow hopped to throw it my buddy says “if you hit that thing I’ll kiss your ass,...”

Thump.

Rolled him. Dead.

We said that we should have mounted him with golf ball just for conversation piece

Ate him for dinner that night

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 07:04 PM

Nice buck. Good job

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 07:07 PM

Nice buck Garza boy! Congrats man! thumbup
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 07:14 PM

I see the rope burns.... laugh Congrat's!!!.... beers Nice Buck... thumbup thumbup

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 07:43 PM

You did it! Congratulations.
If I had been able to find out where you were, I would have been glad to help.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 08:19 PM

Congrats on a nice deer!

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 08:37 PM

Congrats on a nice buck! And thanks for being honest with the story, you have been around here long enough to know that the ribbing will go on a while but is good hearted (for the most part).
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 08:43 PM

Sometimes you just do what you have to do. Congrats Garza.
Posted By: Spec

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 08:49 PM

Awesome Story!!!
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 09:04 PM

Well, I see that the GUN made it to the photo portion at the end of the adventure!!
Good deer and a heck of a story that was a blast to read. Congrats !!
Posted By: dquick1

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 09:11 PM

congrats. You do what you have too. I had to take one out with the 30-06 what a mess.
Posted By: Mhkodiak

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 09:32 PM

Glad you found him. Did what was needed to put him down. Heckuva read on this post. Been some good stories told during the process. Congratulations.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 09:56 PM

You have to mount that deer with THE rope around his neck!! rofl

Closest story I've got is of my late father. He was cruising a tract of timber up in Coosa county back around 1978 or '79. He heard a hell of a commotion going on up in the distance. He eased up there and found a huge 9 point hung in a fence and 3 or 4 dogs barking at him. They had already started chewing on the buck. The deer was in shock, completely exhausted, and very near death. My dad pulled out his Old Timer picket knife and cut the buck's throat. In the process one of the tines broke off but he saved it. He brought the head home and sawed off the rack. When I got older and was able to afford it, got it skull mounted and the taxidermist was able to repair the broken tine and make it look perfect. I gave it to him for Christmas one year with a nameplate that said "Pocketknife Buck"

Dr. B
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 10:28 PM

Congrats on the deer but damn if it don't sound like you're eat up with dumbass. Why didn't you take a gun when you went back?
Posted By: Huntin' Nole

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/12/17 10:48 PM

That's the first 11 page thread I've ever read from first to last page. I'm LMAO at all the posts. You deserve all respect for doing what you had to do, which was put that animal down as fast as you could. Obviously not the way anyone would want to do it, but I say well done for getting it done!
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 08:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
Congrats on the deer but damn if it don't sound like you're eat up with dumbass. Why didn't you take a gun when you went back?

Cause he KNEW he was dead!! rofl
Somebody help this fella get a pistol.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 08:51 AM

Originally Posted By: SuperSpike

Y'all don't give him too hard of a time....that is actually really, really common amongst hunters. I hear it all the time when I go on tracks...

Hunter: "We can take a gun if you want to but I'm pretty sure this ones gonna be dead."

....yet, at least 60% (or better) of them are still alive. It's a psychological deal. We perceive the outcome that we want to see.
Posted By: JA

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 09:28 AM

I shot a doe with my bow one year and she took off like a rocket. I went back to camp a got a couple guys to help me track her. We finally found her but she was still very much alive. Nobody had a drag strap or a knife so each of the guys grabbed a leg and spread eagled her while I strangled her with my belt. Not my finest hour.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 09:33 AM

i've taken a lot of deer, but this right here is my next hunting "accomplishment" -- choke one to death on a bag of Ol Roy at Wal-Mart ... great job chokin' the chit outta that deer, GarzaBoy8 - i'm proud of you, son!

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 09:36 AM

Yea I learned some lessons from this one for sure

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 09:43 AM

we've all been there - in the "heat of the moment" i've done some things i wouldn't particularly care to do anymore LOL ... great 1st buck, bud - keep huntin'
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: CNC
Originally Posted By: SuperSpike

Y'all don't give him too hard of a time....that is actually really, really common amongst hunters. I hear it all the time when I go on tracks...

Hunter: "We can take a gun if you want to but I'm pretty sure this ones gonna be dead."

....yet, at least 60% (or better) of them are still alive. It's a psychological deal. We perceive the outcome that we want to see.

I was just messing with the guy. I think its a great deer and m glad he found it. Good story too.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 03:50 PM

Quote:

rofl rofl rofl

Dang son! I'm impressed by your creativity. I'm dying over here.
Posted By: RobN25

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 03:56 PM

Great story and congrats on recovering the buck!!! Also, thanks for sharing an honest story!

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 03:57 PM

That man needs a special tagline under his name. If strangling a deer to death with your drag rope doesn’t earn you one then I don’t know what does! laugh

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 04:50 PM

And been a great sport about it all along, well done!
Posted By: NFHunter

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/13/17 06:21 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Savage7mm

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/14/17 10:16 AM

I never step out of the truck during gun season without a Rifle/Shotgun on my shoulder
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/14/17 01:18 PM

Congrats Garza! You definitely won't ever forget this one!
Posted By: Mossy454

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/15/17 07:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Claims Rep.
Congrats Garza! You definitely won't ever forget this one!

Agreed
Posted By: metalmuncher

Re: Killed a deer at 430 need help with how long I can let it sit - 12/15/17 10:56 PM

Thanks for the entertainment Garza, and congrats on a great buck.

I once finished one off by stretching it's neck with a rope and my 4 wheeler.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM