Aldeer.com

Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county

Posted By: USMC1302

Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 04:34 PM

Any idea on when the rut kicks in here in the Shelby/Jefferson county area? Haven't seen any chasing but figure it will kick off soon.
Thanks!
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 04:40 PM

Very, very, very site specific.

It can vary from late November to mid-late January throughout much of the counties that you listed.

I'm not sure how specific you want to be with your tract, but there are many guys here that hunt around Bham and could probably nail it down within a few days for your area.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms
Very, very, very site specific.

It can vary from late November to mid-late January throughout much of the counties that you listed.

I'm not sure how specific you want to be with your tract, but there are many guys here that hunt around Bham and could probably nail it down within a few days for your area.

X2 what 3F said. Might as well be asking about Jackson or Baldwin County grin

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 05:58 PM

Gotchya! I'm just north of Oak Mt State park. Any ideas now?
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 06:08 PM

North of Oak Mt State Park?
Is that the Pelham mountain area?

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 06:14 PM

Not sure. Just pulled up a map and the nearest landmark was Oak Mt state park. Property is prob within 20 miles of it.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 06:41 PM

Should be early to mid January. I know there are several guys in here who have hunted Oak Mt and they will be able to tell you first hand.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 07:45 PM

I live in east Shelby. Annual scrape sites around beach trees are starting to get active. January 5th to about 20th is pretty hot.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 07:49 PM

Have a buddy who's place borders OMSP. His scrapes get hot right around Christmas/New Years and rut is wide open, just like mandeerpig and Southwood said, sometime around the 5th-15th of Jan.
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 07:53 PM

South Shelby, Columbiana area, January.

North of Oak Mt State Park is pretty populated area of Pelham, Hoover, etc.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 09:27 PM

Mid to late January
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/11/17 10:25 PM

we hunt central/western Chilton and it peaks around the 3rd week of January. Like others said, it can vary by specific area though.

I would say late January will be a pretty popular answer around central Alabama though.

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/12/17 11:19 AM

Thanks fellas!!
Posted By: William

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/12/17 03:59 PM

Live in the Liberty Park area. You want to be in the woods from about last week of Dec to the second week of Jan. A real indicator for me is when does start showing up dead on 459.
Posted By: Smells

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/12/17 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: William
Live in the Liberty Park area. You want to be in the woods from about last week of Dec to the second week of Jan. A real indicator for me is when does start showing up dead on 459.

Yep. And when you start seeing them in places and times that you never see them the rest of the year.

I watched a buck chasing a doe on my neighbors property on Jan. 14th last year. I killed him the following morning.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/12/17 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: William

yep sir that is always a good barometer
Posted By: WinstonVizsla

Re: Rut in Shelby/Jefferson county - 12/13/17 02:09 PM

At my farm in Sterrett (northeast SHELBY) the peak is always somewhere between the last week of January and first week of February. I had a trail camera picture last week of a spotted fawn still sucking milk from its mom.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM