Aldeer.com

Small acreage hunting

Posted By: Willimatt17

Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 08:42 AM

What's the smallest spot of land y'all have hunted before ! I've got some land up on a mountain and thought I could put a small green field on it next year !
Posted By: jono23

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 08:54 AM

My "main" spot this year is 14 acres. But I'm doin some of that suburban deer hunting so it's a little different.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 09:26 AM

The best turkey spot I've ever had was 23 acres and it was the perfect 23 acres. I'm not sure what it was about it, but you could kill 2-3 mature birds off it year after year.
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 09:34 AM

9 acre tract at the end of a cul de sac. It is a deer funnel with 3 creeks converging plus gateway to crp. Female friend of mine took 6 off it last year with a crossbow. She averaged seeing 10 -15 deer a day hunting it probably 50 days. No plots just woods and pasture. Dogs on property from neighbors probably half the time also... Crazy deer funnel.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 10:09 AM

My buddy owns an acre behind my house that is loaded
Posted By: subtlevibe

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 03:56 PM

i hunt a forever wild tract near troy that nobody else seems to hunt, its about 200 acres
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: subtlevibe
i hunt a forever wild tract near troy that nobody else seems to hunt, its about 200 acres

That's fixing to change lol.
Posted By: MPbow_man

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 04:27 PM

20 acres that I see deer at every sit. It has a 1 acre green field. It has worked for the past several years for me.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: jallencrockett
9 acre tract at the end of a cul de sac. It is a deer funnel with 3 creeks converging plus gateway to crp. Female friend of mine took 6 off it last year with a crossbow. She averaged seeing 10 -15 deer a day hunting it probably 50 days. No plots just woods and pasture. Dogs on property from neighbors probably half the time also... Crazy deer funnel.

Holy moly!
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: subtlevibe

We have some land real close by to it.
Posted By: Phil_Army

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 09:45 PM

I have 5 acres at my house and I've killed 2 does so far. I've got a big 10 point on camera. I may not join a club next year since I see more at my house
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/09/17 11:05 PM

Killed the biggest part of my deer on 7 acres. Sadly i cant get to the property anymore
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/10/17 08:28 AM

I have always enjoyed small property hunting. Some small places can surprise you with excellent quality and quantity. killed my two biggest on small property. My largest from a 20ac privet thicket.
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/10/17 09:44 AM

3 acre spot on a shelf above the roughest rock you can find. Bordered by 2140 acres of non-hunted land. Seen deer every sit for the past 6 yrs, but I'm getting too old to be a rock climber. I hunt it 3-4 times a yr at the most, but its money in January.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/10/17 09:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Phil_Army
I have 5 acres at my house and I've killed 2 does so far. I've got a big 10 point on camera. I may not join a club next year since I see more at my house

I live on 28 acres and I see more deer here than any other place that I've ever hunted or been on. I have a 2 acre green field on a powerline that I normally see 10-20 deer most every time I go.
The most I've ever seen in the field at one time is 29. We rarely kill any deer on the field, but we have 5 bucks on the wall that were killed on this plot. The adjoining areas have very light hunting pressure and I can normally come and go from the shooting house without the deer knowing that I was there
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/10/17 10:26 AM

I've got a 40 acre spot that is like money in the bank. Has a house on either side and backs up to 2,000 acre club. In one stretch I killed 3 nice bucks in 4 years. My only access is from the road on the west side so I NEVER hunt it on anything but an East wind and don't pressure it.
Posted By: rulebreaker

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/10/17 10:43 AM

Are you guys crazy?!? This can't be possible according to the 'lowest number of deer ever' crowd on here and it's always the same ones each year if you will notice. They might want to change the places that they hunt, IDK. I see about as many deer on the 5 acres that I live on as I do where I hunt three miles down the road which is a bunch and daily.
Posted By: JWHuntress

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/12/17 03:34 PM

I'm sitting right now on our 15 a.c. horse farm. Used to be 2, 5 a.c. pastures and a 5 a.c. privet thicket with a pond. We cleared the thicket last year, and have been seeing deer nonstop since. Helps that all 4 sides on the property are 400+a.c. bean fields that no one hunts, though haha.
Posted By: tarmac3030

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/12/17 05:36 PM

Not being a smart ass at all... What's the secret? I've got a hundred acres that I hunt by myself. Loaded with Deer that love to have their pictures taken. I have seen 3 while hunting, in 3 years.
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/12/17 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: MarksOutdoors
Originally Posted By: jallencrockett

Holy moly!

GETS even better. It is bordered on the north side by a mile of hog wire fence with to strands of barbwire. The fencing ends at the begining of the proprrty boundary and then just becomes regular barbwire.
Posted By: Reno

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/12/17 07:07 PM

My honey hole is 40 acres my grandma has.. It backs up to the old Beltona mines in north Jefferson county
Posted By: inatree

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/12/17 09:22 PM

Reno can I come hunt with you? LOL. Seriously
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/13/17 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: tarmac3030
Not being a smart ass at all... What's the secret? I've got a hundred acres that I hunt by myself. Loaded with Deer that love to have their pictures taken. I have seen 3 while hunting, in 3 years.

Are these strictly night time pics?
Posted By: CNC

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/13/17 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By: ronfromramer

I live on 28 acres and I see more deer here than any other place that I've ever hunted or been on. I have a 2 acre green field on a powerline that I normally see 10-20 deer most every time I go.
The most I've ever seen in the field at one time is 29. We rarely kill any deer on the field, but we have 5 bucks on the wall that were killed on this plot. The adjoining areas have very light hunting pressure and I can normally come and go from the shooting house without the deer knowing that I was there

This pretty much sums up my situation as well.

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/13/17 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Cousneddy

The bigger deer yes... lots of does, and smaller bucks during daytime hours.
Posted By: huntbig

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/13/17 11:14 AM

Same issue on my place. First year I've had it. 80 acres, only about 20 acres huntable at this point. Not many deer feeding in the plot and most pictures are night time pictures. No neighbors are hunting that I know of...

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/13/17 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: huntbig

Same issue on my place. First year I've had it. 80 acres, only about 20 acres huntable at this point. Not many deer feeding in the plot and most pictures are night time pictures. No neighbors are hunting that I know of...

Same exact scenario... my place is unhuntable on all four sides. It's mainly relatives around, so I don't think I'm being poached.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/14/17 09:13 PM

This year has been bad for daytime sightings on 27 acres of friends land. The guy that hunted next to us got kicked off that land. So my suspicions about and corn piles must have been true. All I know is they don’t cross this land from the big hunting club on the other side to get there no more.
Posted By: Buckedup

Re: Small acreage hunting - 12/16/17 07:06 PM

One of my favorite spots is 32 behind my father in laws that he set up perfectly with covered tripods and small food plots..... see a pile of deer every sit . Short walk and skinning rack on property . It will spoil a person
© 2024 ALDEER.COM