Aldeer.com

Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice

Posted By: Joe4majors

Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 11:48 AM

Hunting public land today so buck only. Do y’all have any tips for hunting in or around pines surrounded by endless hardwoods? Right now I’m in a pretty large section of pines that are 4-14” in diameter. There is a smaller section of younger and thicker pines closer to the car. More or less went in blind this morning and just piddlin’ mid-day.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 11:50 AM

I like edges. Like where the pines meet the hardwoods. I look for rubs or scrapes along the edge and set up watching that edge. Trying to get bucks feeding in the acorns out of the thicket.

Re: Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession
I like edges. Like where the pines meet the hardwoods. I look for rubs or scrapes along the edge and set up watching that edge. Trying to get bucks feeding in the acorns out of the thicket.

Thanks. That was basically my plan for this evening unless some can convince me otherwise.
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 11:56 AM

X2
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 01:06 PM

they have sidewalks right down the very middle of every one of my pine thickets in my woods. Most shots will be <30 yds, and very easy to hit limbs. Have to find a small lane and get lucky. But they feel very secure in there.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 01:15 PM

Turn a couple of packs of blueticks loose in there....

Re: Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
Turn a couple of packs of blueticks loose in there....

I’m a couple packs short...
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 04:01 PM

truth^^^
Posted By: booner

Re: Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 04:16 PM

Look for changes in the terrain that also coincide with a change in vegatation. Even the slightest differences can make a difference to how they will travel through the pines.

Re: Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 05:46 PM

I owe y’all one.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 05:55 PM

Congrats! Good job! thumbup
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Hunting pines surrounded by hardwoods advice - 11/23/17 06:05 PM

Awesome, congrats
© 2024 ALDEER.COM