Aldeer.com

Fallow Deer

Posted By: top cat

Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 04:57 PM

Are they legal to shoot in Alabama..... If so do they count on you total and would you have to record it......??
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 05:07 PM

You free ranging in the big pen?
Posted By: centralala

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 05:14 PM

I don't remember them in the regs. But I wasn't looking for them either so..... I'm saying legal and don't record them because I don't think they are protected. One of those things I don't have to worry about so I just really dont know the laws on them.

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 05:21 PM

I just looked at the Digest and it just says "deer". So, they must fall in with whitetails on all regs.

I also just read about bull frogs if you ever need to know the regs on them. grin
Posted By: Out back

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 05:28 PM

Wilcox County around Miller's Ferry there's quite a few Fallow deer.
They are whitetails so the usual rules apply.

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Out back
Wilcox County around Miller's Ferry there's quite a few Fallow deer.
They are whitetails so the usual rules apply.

I don't think there is many left there either. I haven't seen or heard of one in a while. Wasn't there some at Molletts Bend years ago also?

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 05:55 PM

Before Bain Henderson developed Sand Island, that area was full of Fallow Deer.
I don't know about Moletts Bend. I did the engineering design work for much of the new power lines and lot services on Sand Island. We saw Fallows all the time.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 05:56 PM

Fallow numbers are waaaaay down from the past.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 06:11 PM

So they are definitely counted on you 3 buck limit and must be game checked... Correct... ???

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 06:17 PM

Yes sir, that's how I understand it. I think it was Mark Roach, Wilcox GW who told me that years ago.
Of course there was no buck limit then, but Fallow deer were considered "Deer" for regulation.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 11:25 PM

Anything in the deer family is a deer. that includes all species of deer, whitetail, mule, blacktail, fallow, sika, elk, moose and reindeer. If you see one and shoot it, it counts as a deer and is legal. Of course the only two of those you are likely to see are whitetail and possible fallow, but I don't hear of people killing the fallow deer like I used to in the late 70's and early 80's when they got off the property they were released on in Wilcox county.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 11:29 PM

Allen Roach
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/18/17 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
Allen Roach

Actually, now it is Sgt. Alan Roach and he is in Dallas County now, but is retiring soon. I've know Alan since Jr. High, here at Westside Jr. High. He does a good job as GW. Enforces the law but uses common sense in doing it. But we digress.

Re: Fallow Deer - 11/19/17 07:10 AM

Yes it was Alan.
You know it is when you approach 50 years old, faces I remember, names not so much.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM