Aldeer.com

Thinking of switching to a different safety harness..

Posted By: Surefire1911

Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/19/17 09:29 PM

Currently using an older seat o the pants vest type. I don't like it and I'm way to inclined to not wear it because of the leg straps . Seems like it takes way to long to put the dang thing on and it gets to hot.

Looking at buying the muddy diamondback.
Anybody using one? How do you like it?

The leg straps seems like a breeze to use which is a big selling point for me, on top of it only weighing 2lbs. Let's hear some feed back, I'm not brand loyal. Just want it to be lightweight and quick to put on.

Tia!
Posted By: Zkd22

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/19/17 09:39 PM

Look at the tree spider micro harness
Posted By: Slim1026

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/19/17 09:44 PM

Hunter Safety System has many models. I wear the Elite, which feels like an Under Armour shirt with leg straps.
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/19/17 10:58 PM

My wife uses a Muddy and she loves it.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 05:24 AM

Look at a Spider. I don't like those with a vest connected. The one I had ,the vest couldn't be removed to wash. In the South sweating and scent is a big issue. You couldn't put mine in washer or dryer without the buckles beating the tub to pieces.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 05:42 AM

you will like the Muddy
Posted By: jbc

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 06:51 AM

Tree spider bibs, if someone tells you they have a more comfortable option, they are lying.

Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 07:07 AM

Rock climbing harness. I use a black diamond.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 07:16 AM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Don't those attach from the front, at the waist?

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Remington270

Yep. Much more comfortable than a full body.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 07:55 AM

But wouldn't that get in the way, if you were in a climber/lock on/ladder stand facing away from the tree?
Posted By: ttownwhitetail

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 08:29 AM

I have been wearing the diamondback for two years now, I love it. It's not real heavy and it's real easy on and off.
Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 08:37 AM

But wouldn't that get in the way, if you were in a climber/lock on/ladder stand facing away from the tree?

It depends on what type of tree strap you use. If you use a regular length tree strap, it probably would. I use the linesman's rope with my setup - the one with a prussett knot that's adjustable. It doesn't get in the way in that setup.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 08:48 AM

I found it very aggravating and got in my way with just about any way I moved.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 09:22 AM

Any time one of these "harness" threads come up I'm absolutely blown away at how many people don't like the vests. I've worn the HSS vests forever, like since they've been out, and find zero problems with them being hot or stinky. The convenience of the pockets make it outrageously functional. I sometimes think people wear other brands just to be a contrarian. I won a Muddy Top Flight at the NWTF banquet, and it was "okay", but the pocket layout wasn't as functional, AND it did NOT have a deer drag.

I've handwashed my vests maybe once ever, but they really don't need it. I can't think of a single time when it was in my way, or in any way uncomfortable. Like I said in another thread recently, unless you're a giantly obese sweathog, I don't see the problem (and I wouldn't see the problem then). Again, I can't stress enough that the HSS is in NO way uncomfortable, and the pockets make it the most treasured hunting item I own.
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 09:34 AM

good thread.
some skinny people sweat like mugs, too. just saying ...
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 09:46 AM

Originally Posted By: ikillbux
Any time one of these "harness" threads come up I'm absolutely blown away at how many people don't like the vests. I've worn the HSS vests forever, like since they've been out, and find zero problems with them being hot or stinky. The convenience of the pockets make it outrageously functional. I sometimes think people wear other brands just to be a contrarian. I won a Muddy Top Flight at the NWTF banquet, and it was "okay", but the pocket layout wasn't as functional, AND it did NOT have a deer drag.

I've handwashed my vests maybe once ever, but they really don't need it. I can't think of a single time when it was in my way, or in any way uncomfortable. Like I said in another thread recently, unless you're a giantly obese sweathog, I don't see the problem (and I wouldn't see the problem then). Again, I can't stress enough that the HSS is in NO way uncomfortable, and the pockets make it the most treasured hunting item I own.

I am a big guy and agree. The two upper chest pockets are the reason I have stayed with a vest vs a climbing rig. Preseason when I am setting up stand trimming lanes etc I use one that came with one of my stands so I dont get it stinky from gas/oil/sweat.

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 10:03 AM

I use the HSS tree strap with mine and it doesn't get in the way at all.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By: jmudler

I am a big guy and agree. The two upper chest pockets are the reason I have stayed with a vest vs a climbing rig. Preseason when I am setting up stand trimming lanes etc I use one that came with one of my stands so I dont get it stinky from gas/oil/sweat.

Same here, I treat it like my other hunting clothes, I don't "work" in it. The zippered pockets on the chest are just perfect for holding an iPhone. The pockets on bottom hold my snippers / folding saw, windicator bottles, etc.
Posted By: todd w

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 10:39 AM

love my spider
Posted By: Slughunter

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 10:44 AM

I switched to rock climbing harness last year and works well for me. But just got an an email from Midway for a sale on the HSS Ultra Lite Black Ops and i remembered this thread so I'm posting it up for those interested.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101942...main-image-link
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 11:16 AM

HSS ultra lite and lineman's rope is a mighty fine set up.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 02:16 PM

my 1 and only complaint with the rock climbing harness (although it would likely be an issue with any harness, I just haven't tried it with a traditional) is that it gets in the way of my pistol on my hip. Once I get to my tree I stick the holstered pistol in my back, then put it back on when I climb down.

But again, that would probably be the same with a traditional harness too, so probably not a fair complaint.
Posted By: PineStalker89

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
my 1 and only complaint with the rock climbing harness (although it would likely be an issue with any harness, I just haven't tried it with a traditional) is that it gets in the way of my pistol on my hip. Once I get to my tree I stick the holstered pistol in my back, then put it back on when I climb down.

But again, that would probably be the same with a traditional harness too, so probably not a fair complaint.

I've had the same problem with a traditional harness. So if my harness is on I carry my pistol clipped to the chest
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 04:29 PM

Been using a hss ultra lite 2.0 from cabelas since last yrar. Once it's on its hard to remember that it's there. Very comfy
Posted By: clarkdeer

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/20/17 07:59 PM

No. Make sure the strap is long enough and it’s not in the way at all. As a matter of fact, it allows for more freedom of movement than a full body harness. The strap sits beside you and attaches to the tree slightly above waist level.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/21/17 08:40 AM

I bought one of these for my first harness and have never washed it. It's always outside my clothes so it doesn't get sweat on it, and it still looks like it did when I got it. I use one of the ropes to attach it to the tree.

Most people had been using a harness for more than a decade before I ever switched to one. I just stuck with my safety belt. It worked really well when hanging a lock on; I could lean against it and be completely stable. And I'm not at all sure I would be better off with the harness if I ever fell. You will die quickly hanging in a harness if you can't right yourself. I think I would have a better chance of surviving hanging by my waist with a belt.

I'm probably not strong enough to right myself after a fall using either one, so it's likely a moot point for me. But I always thought I would be able to right myself with the safety belt when I was younger. I always kept it set so I wouldn't fall more than a few inches. I once set up my stand in the yard and tried to simulate a fall and then attempted to right myself in the stand. It was easy, but of course I hadn't been injured by a fall.

Everyone be careful whatever you use.
Posted By: johnv

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/21/17 08:50 AM

Wearing my tree spider micro right now. Only one I use anymore.
Posted By: Surefire1911

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/21/17 05:21 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. The interwebs being what it is,just happend to show me via Facebook that the hss ultralight black ops was on sale at midway for 39.99. It was very similar to the muddy I was talking about so I decided to save that $30. Stay safe out there !
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/22/17 11:34 PM

I hate my hss. I think it’s the ultra lite. When I sit down, the shoulder straps raise up off my shoulders and sit against my neck on each side and rub my damn neck raw. I’m ordering a tree spider micro the first chance I get. Rogers sporting goods has a pretty good deal on all the tree spider stuff
Posted By: fishingbucks

Re: Thinking of switching to a different safety harness.. - 10/23/17 07:53 PM

I don’t mean to hijack the thread but why do vests have expiration dates? Do people actually change out every few years? The reason I ask is because my harness straps are made or the same material that car seat belts are made from. You don’t have to change car seatbelts out. Is it just a way for vest companies to make more money?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM