Aldeer.com

Bulk LIme-Mobile, Washington counties

Posted By: bambam32

Bulk LIme-Mobile, Washington counties - 05/22/17 11:51 AM

I recently had 25 tons of lime delivered to our camp. Lime is a byproduct of one of the steel mills on Hwy 43 and they are getting rid of it for cheap.

I contacted Landco Forestry. Landco has an account at the plant and I just paid them for everything. I did not have to take off work, set up an account, or schedule someone to pick up and deliver. It was an easy process and I would not post this information if I had not done it myself.

Landco Forestry
251-454-9591
Posted By: centralala

Re: Bulk LIme-Mobile, Washington counties - 05/22/17 12:01 PM

I have read on this but can't remember. Its different than ag lime I think. What qualities are different? Cost per ton? I would think freight on ag lime would be high in your area making the steel mill stuff more attractive.
Posted By: Robert D.

Re: Bulk LIme-Mobile, Washington counties - 05/22/17 12:25 PM

I have been told by a farmer that paper mill or chemical plant lime has already been used to deacidify something and won't work AS WELL to raise the ph in your plots. No idea if that's 100% correct.

Most places down here the mill lime is free so you're only paying for trucking. Guess you could put out more likely for less money still.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Bulk LIme-Mobile, Washington counties - 05/22/17 01:24 PM

Slag
Posted By: wbpc

Re: Bulk LIme-Mobile, Washington counties - 05/22/17 01:27 PM

I've put out plenty of lime mud from paper mills and it neutralizes the ph as well as ag lime in my opinion. It does not contain as much Mg as ag lime though. I've got plenty of soil test to prove it works. It's definitely cheaper for your area than ag lime.

If you are not going to spread it immediately make sure to cover it with a tarp so it does not get wet. If it ever gets wet it's very hard to spread.
Posted By: centralala

Re: Bulk LIme-Mobile, Washington counties - 05/22/17 02:27 PM

Timber jogged my memory. Slag is what I remember the steel mill stuff called. I've never heard of anything from paper mills and I live between 2. Chemical mill I assume would have to depend on the chemical. WBPC brought up some differences that seems like what I read. What properties do the paper mill "lime" have?
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Bulk LIme-Mobile, Washington counties - 05/22/17 04:20 PM

Slag is great because it's full of micronutrients and works very quickly.
Posted By: bigt

Re: Bulk LIme-Mobile, Washington counties - 05/22/17 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: bambam32
I recently had 25 tons of lime delivered to our camp. Lime is a byproduct of one of the steel mills on Hwy 43 and they are getting rid of it for cheap.

I contacted Landco Forestry. Landco has an account at the plant and I just paid them for everything. I did not have to take off work, set up an account, or schedule someone to pick up and deliver. It was an easy process and I would not post this information if I had not done it myself.

Landco Forestry
251-454-9591

What was the cost per ton delivered?
Posted By: wbpc

Re: Bulk LIme-Mobile, Washington counties - 05/22/17 06:07 PM

I think the properties vary somewhat from mill to mill, but nothing major. I can't remember anything in particular about it other than I had a 26 ton load trucked to me for $85/hr. At my location that put me around $200 per load. I still had to rent a buggy to spread it with though.
Posted By: bambam32

Re: Bulk LIme-Mobile, Washington counties - 05/22/17 07:38 PM

The lime came from Tube City IMS. They will send you the lab analysis on what they are selling. Call 251-654-2839 and they will email it to you.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM