Aldeer.com

Binoculars: Why you should get a pair

Posted By: jkm0017

Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 01:04 PM

I've always watched those western hunting shows where the guys sit on the side of a mountain for days looking through their binoculars and thought. "I don't need those. The longest shot I might have on our property is maybe 150 yards."

Well, this past season I got a pair of binoculars. Nothing crazy expensive. Just a $100 dollar pair of Bushnell 10x42mm. Still, I thought it was probably a waste of money. Since I'm not looking across mountains and valleys. I'm usually looking at lots of woods or maybe an acre or so of green field.

After this season, I can say that it absolutely was not a waste of money. I probably saw at least a dozen deer through those binoculars this season that I never would have spotted otherwise. Would I have killed any more or less deer this season if I didn't have them, I don't know. If I was having to spot a deer in the woods with the binoculars it usually means they are too far away and behind too much brush to make a shot.

I just wanted to talk about this because I was pleasantly surprised by how helpful those binoculars were, even in the woods. It was like I was able to focus deeper into the trees, and see what was happening. Definitely won't go hunting again without them.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 01:08 PM

And you will continue to enjoy hunting more and more by using them. Hence the reason I just bought a backup pair.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 01:10 PM

I am miserable on the few hunts I forget binoculars.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 01:20 PM

Now you will carry them in ur truck all the time just in case.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: extreme heights hunter
And you will continue to enjoy hunting more and more by using them. Hence the reason I just bought a backup pair.

You mean you stole a backup pair rofl

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag

Posted By: BibbCounty

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 02:15 PM

HAHAHAHAAHH! Seriously , Buy a really good pair and you will be even more amazed. I couldn't imagine not having a pair at all , but when I bought my first pair of MEOPTA MEOSTAR 10x42 I was shocked how much better they actually where.
Posted By: pcola4

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 02:31 PM

I get confused on the meopta. Is it the meostar or the meopro which is the higher end stuff?

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: pcola4
I get confused on the meopta. Is it the meostar or the meopro which is the higher end stuff?

meostar
Posted By: burbank

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 02:53 PM

Ha! Boom!

Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 02:53 PM

EHH is a meostar PRO slap
Posted By: tsmith

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 03:01 PM

I never leave the camp without them. You can see things that you would never see with the naked eye or even with a scope. It is amazing to look into thick brush and pick out an antler or an ear that you would have never seen without them.

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: burbank
Ha! Boom!

Yes I scored a big touchdown with the PURCHASE of the binos

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 03:33 PM

Damn right
Posted By: DeerTracker

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 08:38 PM

I wear glasses and cannot see squat thru my binoculars with my glasses on. So i must take off my glasses. I must constantly switch back and forth and was concerned I was going to end up dropping my glasses then i would be screwed.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: DeerTracker
I wear glasses and cannot see squat thru my binoculars with my glasses on. So i must take off my glasses. I must constantly switch back and forth and was concerned I was going to end up dropping my glasses then i would be screwed.

Not all are eligible

But Lasik is the greatest thing i ever did
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: burbank
Ha! Boom!

Yes I scored a big touchdown with the PURCHASE of the binos

Hopefully they'll last longer than that coach will.....
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 09:10 PM

rofl
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 10:32 PM

I'd rather leave my gun in the truck than my binoculars.
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/24/17 10:54 PM

I don't want to go without them. I feel like I'm lost and my hunt is over. Also makes me feel like there is no point in being there
Posted By: Savage7mm

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 01:37 AM

Well. May have to invest in a decent pair after reading this.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 07:25 AM

I went from glasses to contacts for hunting and baseball so they wouldn't fog up, then I went from contacts to Lasik due to contacts being dry while trying to hunt. Nothing is perfect except 20/20.

I'd wear my glasses on a set of those granny chains if I was worried about dropping them. I can't hunt in Alabama without binocs, even when all I did was bowhunt. Out west they are a necessity. The big bull elk my brother stuck and never found in Nevada this past year, he first spotted through a spotting scope and binos 3 miles away. He saw him at daylight and stalked and shot him just after noon. Here we need smaller binos to help spot movement, out there, they need power to see for miles.
Posted By: BibbCounty

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 07:36 AM

I wear glasses as well. Don't pull out the eye relief things ( or what ever they are ) leave those flat then put the binos flat against your glasses seems to have about the same affect for me and I can see fine that way .
Posted By: jkm0017

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 09:03 AM

You should. It will make your hunts better. You will see things that you didn't even know where there.
Posted By: burbank

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 09:18 AM

I have glasses and can see fine thru binoculars.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 09:32 AM

For right situation could say may be good for me never carry Nikons anymore. If it is a deer my scope is going on it ready to shoot.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 09:59 AM

I have a pair, rarely use them. I just look through the scope of my rifle. Safety off and finger on the trigger of course.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 10:06 AM

The little rubber eyecups on every set I've had fold back for eyeglass wearers.
Posted By: headshot

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 10:38 AM

so are they better that the Swarovski EL series? or just more affordable? I can appreciate more affordable!!

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: headshot

so are they better that the Swarovski EL series? or just more affordable? I can appreciate more affordable!!

That's a question for rich folk like Brent and 257avalanche
Posted By: flounderpounder

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 01:17 PM

So you don't have to point your rifle at you sexy neighbor across the street while she gets dressed in her window.. (kinda joking)
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 04:25 PM

Dont care how good someones eyes are. There is no way they can see 25 yards into the woods across a 150 yard field, especially in late afternoon.

I started using binoculars many years ago at my father in laws suggestion. I see many more deer in the woods, many of them never venture into the food plot. Also during the run, if I have does in the plot I will keep an eye on the woodline.. I have seen several bucks standing there watching the does, waiting for the sun to go down...
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: flounderpounder
So you don't have to point your rifle at you sexy neighbor across the street while she gets dressed in her window.. (kinda joking)

That means that you are kinda not joking too. wink
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 09:01 PM

Not much argument that binoculars are a necessary tool deer hunting, but also add greatly to your entertainment in watching ALL the wildlife, especially turkeys. Many years ago I carried an inexpensive small pair of Bushnells. When I finally bought a good pair of Nikon 8x50mm I really began to appreciate them as a tool and enjoyment. Even for turkey hunting with a good set of straps that hold them to your chest, I never know they are there .
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 10:11 PM

I seriously don't know how people can effectively hunt without decent binoculars. I use them as much or more in this woods than I do when hunting a powerline or clearcut.

I definitely don't see how someone can hunt a clearcut without binos.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Turkeyboy
. Even for turkey hunting with a good set of straps that hold them to your chest, I never know they are there .

I take mine turkey like that, but have filled the front caps with dirt a couple times on a low down dirty belly crawl. I remember to lose the binos when I get super sneak mad.
Posted By: JUSTIN37HUNT

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/25/17 10:59 PM

Binoculars are a game changer.

I can't believe I hunted so long without a pair. It was truly the dumbest thing I've done as a hunter.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/26/17 07:35 AM

I don't use my binos in bow season much but I don't go to the woods with out em during gun season. Where they really come in handy is at the beach along with a cooler of beer.
Posted By: BC_Reb

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/26/17 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: JUSTIN37HUNT
Binoculars are a game changer.

I can't believe I hunted so long without a pair. It was truly the dumbest thing I've done as a hunter.

Me neither!
Posted By: Mossy454

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/26/17 02:43 PM

If you can, switch to contacts. They were hard to get in at first. Now I can pop them in first try every time. I never thought I would be able to wear them. Now, I bring a pair of reading glasses in a case, in my pack, in case I want to read something on my phone, and that's it. It's a lot better than having to keep switching when using my binos or looking through my scope.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/27/17 07:26 AM

Originally Posted By: flounderpounder

That is what more is used for than hunting I bet. lol

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/27/17 07:36 AM

I may have a set of used 8x42 meopros for sale soon. if you`re interested, I`ll let you know.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/27/17 09:50 AM

the vortex diamonback can be used with glasses or without. I got mine new for about $120 on sale. Very pleased with them too.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Binoculars: Why you should get a pair - 02/27/17 11:04 PM

Next to my gun and a safety harness for climbing, binos are most important tool for hunting I have.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM