Aldeer.com

Deer going nocturnal??

Posted By: Myerz

Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 12:03 PM

Ive read a few times about deer going nocturnal in an area thats got a lot of feeders out. I can agree nor disagree with that. I have noticed of recent that ive got more night time deer activity but theres been a full moon, so for the ones that can tell me why it turns deer nocturnal feel free to educate me on this. If you think it dont matter state your opinion too. Thanks
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 12:05 PM

Hunting pressure makes them nocturnal. People hunting, scouting, checking cameras, filling feeders, driving around etc etc.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 12:10 PM

Driving, feeding, checking cams etc don't bother our deer still see tons of deer during daylight hours
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 12:43 PM

The general thought is that it provides an easy, consistent food source - that provides a way to an easy, lazy meal. Which suppresses movement.

Not sure it's just an opinion. I believe a couple studies have proven it for the most part.

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 12:46 PM

Hunting pressure definitely makes sense and anything that the deer isnt neccesarily used to being around can change habits - i can agree with that. I do think that deer can get used to filling feeders and MAYBE checking cameras, etc if you do it on a regualar basis I guess you might say. I just thought that strictly having some sort of bait out, from what some comments read, would turn them nocturnal. I guess I read it or comprehended it wrong - idk. I kinda think eventually when it comes to feeding, that deer wont actually run to you of course but i do think that when they hear the feeders getting filled up time and time again they know whats there. Something maybe similar to catfish hearing feed hit the water or, and I know this could be a stretch but maybe like when the cows come running when the tractor gets cranked up bc they know its bringing hay. That could be two TERRIBLE examples but thats the only two I could think of lol
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben2
Driving, feeding, checking cams etc don't bother our deer still see tons of deer during daylight hours

Same here
Posted By: Reno

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 01:01 PM

Corn can turn a good daytime hunting spot into a good night time hunting spot..

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Reno

Well I guess I'm wasting my day here sitting on this corn field. I guess I'll go home now.

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 01:28 PM

Ok so why does corn neccesarily do that? Im interested to know honestly
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag

Well I guess I'm wasting my day here sitting on this corn field. I guess I'll go home now.

LOL

They forget to tell those bucks in IL that, too.

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Myerz

Easy, consistent meal. its going to be there, day and night and soon as they sense pressure on it... they just come through at night.

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 01:36 PM

Killed anything?

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 01:47 PM

Easy, consistent meal. its going to be there, day and night and soon as they sense pressure on it... they just come through at night.

Food plots, acorns, green browse, etc does not have that effect?
Why not??

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 02:00 PM

A pile of corn poured on the ground isnt natural.. deer in alabama know this. They will associate it with hunters. Obviously if you pressure any food source, deer will avoid it whether its acorns, row crops or whatever.

Maybe we hunt different, but i try to get close as i can to deer. Its alot easier to kill a deer close that is at ease, not one that comes in looking for danger.. which a deer will associate with a pile of corn.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 02:06 PM

Killed anything?

Yea..he has. Have You????

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession

Killed anything?

Yea..he has. Have You????

Check the kill thread in team forum thumbup
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 02:13 PM

I've just always viewed deer as already being a nocturnal animal that occasionally makes daytime appearances.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 02:15 PM

Deer are naturally nocturnal due to there physical makeup.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 02:21 PM

Pressure makes deer nocturnal. If you doubt this do what I did. Pour a couple hundred pounds of corn in your best food pot the day after the season ends. You will get tons of buck photos during daylight hours. If you doubt they know when it's hunting season your crazy. All year they don't have trucks or four wheelers in their world. Then there are smelly humans in their homes. I leased a hay farm outside Troy. Not once did I see a buck during daylight until the rut. Farmers shoot at them all year off tractors. They don't like being shot at believe it or not !

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 02:28 PM

Thanks yall - that does make a lot of sense. So what do yall do?? Not put corn or supplemental feed out or put it out and hope to get lucky and/or patiently wait for the rut??

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 03:07 PM

Thanks yall - that does make a lot of sense. So what do yall do?? Not put corn or supplemental feed out or put it out and hope to get lucky and/or patiently wait for the rut??

Scout, scout and then scout more.. study Arial views of property and know topography. Woodsmanship will get you more sightings/kills than anything else

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 03:10 PM

No. I use peanuts now laugh
Posted By: jmj120

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 03:16 PM

A pile of corn poured on the ground isnt natural.. deer in alabama know this. They will associate it with hunters. Obviously if you pressure any food source, deer will avoid it whether its acorns, row crops or whatever.

Maybe we hunt different, but i try to get close as i can to deer. Its alot easier to kill a deer close that is at ease, not one that comes in looking for danger.. which a deer will associate with a pile of corn.

Ha........ Giving those deer wayyyyy too much credit. Do they know I planted the food plot?

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: jmj120

Ha........ Giving those deer wayyyyy too much credit. Do they know I planted the food plot?

Scout, man, scout!!!!!
That is way less pressure!
Geez, aren't you ever gonna get the hang of this internet hunting stuff?

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 03:53 PM

Actually I heard an older fellow saying this morning that the deer on his place will come "check" the greenfields for grass bc he thinks they know what theyre there for so idk - this fellow has a wall full of 130+ class bucks

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 03:54 PM

Yall are right there no substitute for doing your homework for sure.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 04:20 PM

A feeder is typically a very small concentrated area, deer get spooked off of it during daylight and they change their behavior to when there is less danger associated with the feeder. Same goes for foodplots Of course a 1/4 acre plot where the deer have been spooked off of it during the daylight hours are going to change behavior too because they will feel more pressure than being on a 10 acre foodplot with the same amount of pressure. So proximity associated with the danger and the time danger is encountered will make the deer change behavior for the local deer, it does not necessarily a deer may get bumped, chased or accidentally come to it at other times.

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Fun4all
A feeder is typically a very small concentrated area, deer get spooked off of it during daylight and they change their behavior to when there is less danger associated with the feeder. Same goes for foodplots Of course a 1/4 acre plot where the deer have been spooked off of it during the daylight hours are going to change behavior too because they will feel more pressure than being on a 10 acre foodplot with the same amount of pressure. So proximity associated with the danger and the time danger is encountered will make the deer change behavior for the local deer, it does not necessarily a deer may get bumped, chased or accidentally come to it at other times.

Thank you for a clear answer and explanation to the question.

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 05:02 PM

They may very well be conditioned over their lifetimes to 'know' that the fields are normally a source of Fall/Winter food.
You reckon they 'know' he plants it to allow him to kill them and come anyway?
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogwild
They may very well be conditioned over their lifetimes to 'know' that the fields are normally a source of Fall/Winter food.
You reckon they 'know' he plants it to allow him to kill them and come anyway?

hell i know they know i plant them . they watch me go back and forth as they eat persimmons at 2:00 when its 95 degrees . rofl
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 10:23 PM

I reckon the deer around our farm are smarter than y'alls deer are. Our deer are mostly nocturnal 24/7/365. I rarely get day time pictures whether it's June or January. The only thing that gets them on their feet around here is cold weather and the rut.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/18/16 10:54 PM

That's how it is around here too. Has been as long as I can remember. I just thought it was normal. If they weren't a primarily nocturnal animal it probably wouldn't be illegal to shoot em at night. They're probably walking around in my front yard right now
Posted By: DustyH34

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/19/16 10:52 AM

We see a lot of the same deer in our greenfields during the day that we see at night over our corn/protien feeders. Regardless, the old smarter bucks seem to avoid both as soon as hunting season ramps up. So we try to hunt smarter and we get lucky sometimes. The big bucks usually start showing back up on our feeder cams once the season is out.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/19/16 11:02 AM

I have always viewed big, mature bucks as nocturnal creatures who live their entire lives as Vampires.
Posted By: jmj120

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/19/16 11:14 AM

Horsesheet. Go to most any home on Pike Road, they've got corn feeders in the back yard. Most folks I know down there come and go at all hours of the day and night, and see deer at all hours of the day and night. One of the biggest bucks I saw killed last year was shot off a guys back porch as he was heading to work.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/19/16 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: MarksOutdoors
I have always viewed big, mature bucks as nocturnal creatures who live their entire lives as Vampires.

Not all of them, they are all individuals .

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/19/16 01:18 PM

So now i wonder (lol) if i fill all my feeders up at night if the deer will start showing up during the daytime bc the pressure wont be there lol - kinda funny question but might make sense....maybe
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/19/16 01:30 PM

Horsesheet. Go to most any home on Pike Road, they've got corn feeders in the back yard. Most folks I know down there come and go at all hours of the day and night, and see deer at all hours of the day and night. One of the biggest bucks I saw killed last year was shot off a guys back porch as he was heading to work.

So that brings up a questions in my feeble little mind. How often does he shoot deer off the feeder in his back yard? Was this just an isolated incident because he saw a big buck standing at his feeder that he has never shot a deer from before? Did the deer just mess up and show up 5 minutes to early that day when he thought the danger was not there?
Are those deer used to human presence because they are not threatened 99% of the time? "Horsesheet"? Maybe in that one isolated incident. "Horsesheet" as a general explanation of why deer go nocturnal around feeders, probably not.
Posted By: BC_Reb

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/19/16 02:20 PM

So now i wonder (lol) if i fill all my feeders up at night if the deer will start showing up during the daytime bc the pressure wont be there lol - kinda funny question but might make sense....maybe

I've always joked with my yankee buddies about doing this. I tell them I ride around the property any night I get a chance blasting country music, and only walk in when I'm hunting. They're pretty gullible and I'm sure the folks in their hunting club hate them! Haha

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/19/16 03:10 PM

Bahahahaha thats hilarious!!! But really I have seen and heard when i went to a hunting club meeting with a friend of mine that coon hunts, they were voting on letting him coon hunt that following year and the difference in the number of deer killed at that club was about a 1/3 higher than it was in the last few years. I really wonder if that made the deer move more during the daytime?? Needless to say they voted and hes coon hunting that club year around. Idk really. Maybe him stirring around puts the deer up and has them moving when theres not so much going on (dogs barking and people talking). Kinda crazy to think about

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/19/16 07:20 PM

Bahahahaha thats hilarious!!! But really I have seen and heard when i went to a hunting club meeting with a friend of mine that coon hunts, they were voting on letting him coon hunt that following year and the difference in the number of deer killed at that club was about a 1/3 higher than it was in the last few years. I really wonder if that made the deer move more during the daytime?? Needless to say they voted and hes coon hunting that club year around. Idk really. Maybe him stirring around puts the deer up and has them moving when theres not so much going on (dogs barking and people talking). Kinda crazy to think about

i have read studies that agree with that

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/19/16 07:22 PM

google ,,,,, coon hunting deer study
Posted By: scrape

Re: Deer going nocturnal?? - 12/19/16 09:37 PM

human scent
© 2024 ALDEER.COM