Aldeer.com

Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use?

Posted By: Honolua

Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 04:34 AM

DDW for me usually, though last year I used scentblocker scent elimination spray too.
Posted By: MLHunter

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 05:52 AM

DDW here too! Been using it for several years and it works great.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 06:39 AM

Free wind, if the wind isn't right I don't hunt there. I don't believe in 100% scent elimination sprays, soaps, etc.
Posted By: GruntSpcWeller

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 07:30 AM

Whatever happens to be on sale. I bought a 32 oz bottle of UnderArmour Lava Scent Spray at Academy Sports yesterday for 2.99.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 07:33 AM

Deep woods off
Posted By: AC870

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 07:56 AM

DDW
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 08:06 AM

DDW soap, HSS spray and a pine scent cover spray.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 08:11 AM

Opossum piss
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 08:31 AM

Scent killer gold or either ddw. Put all clothes in tote with earth scent wafers.
Posted By: Reno

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 09:25 AM

Scent killer gold with either fresh earth or pine scent wafers.. wash my clothes in scent free detergent
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 12:23 PM

campfire smoke
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
Free wind, if the wind isn't right I don't hunt there. I don't believe in 100% scent elimination sprays, soaps, etc.

x2
Posted By: jono23

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 02:12 PM

The tears of fallen deer.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 03:28 PM

Pine limb.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: jono23

rofl
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 05:04 PM

Clever
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 05:32 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This year I'll be using DDW, but only because I bought two bottles on clearance after the season ended. I normally use Scentkiller Gold.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 07:13 PM

Fresh Earth scent wafers. Smell just like dirt.
Posted By: ALDawg

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 08:04 PM

DDW and Scentkiller. I only use these on my boots to cover my entrance trail.

Not knocking folks who use the scented sprays (earth scent etc...) but I've had deer on more than one occasion spoked when crossing my trail when I used the earth scented spray. I've had pretty good success with the unscented though (again just talking about using on my hunting boots to minimize the ground scent walking into a stand).
Posted By: Muddybucks7

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 09:40 PM

Y'all ever though about sentless deodrant pray for cover sent?
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/17/16 10:29 PM

DDW here too
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/18/16 03:54 PM

Scent a way. It's old & "expired" but I still use it.
Posted By: Lead Poison

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/18/16 08:57 PM

Hunt the wind. It works every time. thumbup
Posted By: James

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/18/16 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Claims Rep.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This year I'll be using DDW, but only because I bought two bottles on clearance after the season ended. I normally use Scentkiller Gold.
Make sure it doesn't smell. I tried some and it wasn't long before it started to smell..
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/18/16 09:31 PM

Scent killer detergent, scent away soap and spray. Have yet to be winded
Posted By: droptines

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/18/16 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser

This.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/19/16 06:37 AM

I don't use anything. A deer's nose is better than a dogs nose and dogs can detect cancer in cancer patients. Do we really believe that some man made crap is gonna help hide our scent? I don't, i'll keep my money in my wallet. How do you know the deer aren't smelling the spray? Try and hunt the wind, use the thermals to your advantage, and a little luck goes a long way.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/19/16 07:09 AM

I turn and face into the wind if needed.
Posted By: DustyH34

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/19/16 08:58 AM

DDW or Scent Shield in the past.
Posted By: PoBoyHunting205

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/19/16 03:30 PM

Store my clothes in a regular tote or jumbo zip loc bags with HS earth scent wafers... Wash hs body hair soap. Cover body in baking soda. Spray down with earth scent spray.
P.S.
Hunt the wind
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/19/16 05:27 PM

You can't hunt the wind where we hunt, if the wind is blowing then it is swirling. I prefer the Primos fresh earth scent but also use Scent Away and store our clothes in plastic bins with the scent wafers. I am going to try some of the home made stuff this year as well.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/19/16 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ColeT
Scent killer detergent, scent away soap and spray. Have yet to be winded

That you know of. They just didn't get close enough for you to know it, or chose not to blow at you when they scented you, but if their were deer downwind of you, they absolutely smelled you. There is nothing made that can eliminate a human scent enough that a deer can't detect it.

Now for the original question, I don't really use anything but the wind in my face. I will say though that my brother left a can of some stuff made by Primos that comes in a green can and says it has silver in it. I never really paid attention to the name and it is out in my shop so that is the best description I can give. Anyways, I had been working on a shooting house and left my old sweaty hat in the shop. After a couple of days it stunk so bad I couldn't stand to wear it. I saw the can of stuff and it said it can be used on athletic equipment, so I sprayed my hat down. It really did kill most of the odor instantly. It had a different smell from the spray that a deer could detect, no doubt, but the stink was almost all gone. I was surprised. It would help with odor, but not eliminate it to the point a deer won't smell you.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/20/16 06:42 AM

Yea, jawbone thats the issue. People use stuff that does reduce odor to us. We have very poor smell. Dogs have 200 million scent receptors in their noses, deer have 300 million. If a drug dog can detect dope wrapped in plastic submerged in a gas tank, can someone please tell me what the hell i can use to defeat an animal who can smell better than that? Its commercialization at its finest. Deer don't smell sweat, they smell the molecules of the bacteria in the sweat. A buck can trail a doe in heat that came by yesterday. We can't even fathom the complexity of how they smell. If this stuff worked, drug lords would be all over it.
Posted By: 300Ruger

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/20/16 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: scrubbuck
campfire smoke

This is what I use too. It was good enough for the Indians.
Posted By: Mike59

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/20/16 05:21 PM

All Dead Down Wind products,,,,, been using it since it first came out ,,,this stuff works,,
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/20/16 05:46 PM

I used to use it when I was younger but still got winded. I don't believe in it anymore because of what jawbone just said. I have hunted residential areas where deer were so used to human scent they didn't care.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/20/16 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
Yea, jawbone thats the issue. People use stuff that does reduce odor to us. We have very poor smell. Dogs have 200 million scent receptors in their noses, deer have 300 million. If a drug dog can detect dope wrapped in plastic submerged in a gas tank, can someone please tell me what the hell i can use to defeat an animal who can smell better than that? Its commercialization at its finest. Deer don't smell sweat, they smell the molecules of the bacteria in the sweat. A buck can trail a doe in heat that came by yesterday. We can't even fathom the complexity of how they smell. If this stuff worked, drug lords would be all over it.

There's way more money in fooling hunters than there is in fooling deer and I am the biggest fool of all.
Posted By: Gig

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/20/16 10:09 PM

Interdigital gland.
Posted By: Deadwood

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/21/16 08:35 AM

I don't use anything. A deer's nose is better than a dogs nose and dogs can detect cancer in cancer patients. Do we really believe that some man made crap is gonna help hide our scent? I don't, i'll keep my money in my wallet. How do you know the deer aren't smelling the spray? Try and hunt the wind, use the thermals to your advantage, and a little luck goes a long way.

Exactly this. We've been conditioned over the years to trade our hard earned money for silly gimmicks. This is one of them. Hunt the wind. Smoke and piss if you want, just don't get busted with movement.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/21/16 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Deadwood

Exactly this. We've been conditioned over the years to trade our hard earned money for silly gimmicks. This is one of them. Hunt the wind. Smoke and piss if you want, just don't get busted with movement.

I smoke all the time and usually have to put it down to shoot. I also exclusively hunt public land.

About 15 years ago, a hunter walks by me in my tree in the swamp in TNF and stops twenty yards away to piss. 45 minutes later, a basket rack 8 walks by and stops to smell the spot he peed on. I still have his skull somewhere.
Posted By: Recurve

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/21/16 01:01 PM

This. Opinions are worth as much as the person giving them, but I don't put much stock in them either. It doesn't matter what you wash your clothes in or spray on your boots, if you aren't playing the wind you're never going to get close to a deer. That's just how it is. People have hunted deer for thousands of years before scent spray, $300 Ozonics, etc. These products cost a lot of money and just make us feel better. I love deer hunting more than most things in this world, but you only have to flip on the Sportsman's Channel for 5 minutes to get a feel for what kind of money making business hunting is.

That isn't to say don't spend your money on it. I just don't see it as much other than a confidence booster.
Posted By: Dave_H

Re: Scent Elimination Spray...What dl you use? - 09/22/16 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Geno
I turn and face into the wind if needed.

I like to add height also. It is interesting to have a doe go under your stand then run right back under it when the scent you well down wind.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM