Aldeer.com

Impact of burning during season

Posted By: getoutdoors

Impact of burning during season - 01/28/16 09:33 AM

We have a large clearcut being burned this week. How will that impact deer behavior?
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: Impact of burning during season - 01/28/16 09:52 AM

Probably none at all. Especially with the rut happening. They are bound to be anywhere.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Impact of burning during season - 01/28/16 10:00 AM

None. It bothers humans more than animals. Go hunt.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Impact of burning during season - 01/28/16 10:56 AM

I wish I had the hopeless optimism some folks do. Ain't no way in heck I'd hunt a burned clearcut within days of it being burned. Cover's gone, food's gone, stumps still smoking, and there was a FIRE there a couple of days ago.....Yeah, makes all the sense in the world to me.
Posted By: trackncur

Re: Impact of burning during season - 01/28/16 10:57 AM

It will probably help overnight, but certainly when the tender sprigs come out.
Posted By: Austin_243

Re: Impact of burning during season - 01/28/16 11:23 AM

No impact on how they use it.. My dad missed a monster and TNF in a burnt cut over on the same trail he killed one 5 years ago.. cut overs, burns, new fire breaks and other stuff ... Deer don't mind that type of stuff most of the time!!
Posted By: bigt

Re: Impact of burning during season - 01/28/16 04:54 PM

I will let you know....hunting a food plot right now that is in the middle of where they control burned about two weeks back. Nobody has been in here since.....
Posted By: JKlep

Re: Impact of burning during season - 01/29/16 11:46 PM

Some of the best deer hunting I have had has been over burned clear cuts. And yes, with the stumps still smoldering and smoking. The deer still seem to use it just like before, but the big difference is they are much easier to spot against a black background rather than blending in with the cover in the cutover. Post a stand up on the edge of the burn where you can see a large area and you will most likely be pleasantly surprised with how many you will see.
Posted By: trackncur

Re: Impact of burning during season - 01/30/16 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: JKlep
Some of the best deer hunting I have had has been over burned clear cuts. And yes, with the stumps still smoldering and smoking. The deer still seem to use it just like before, but the big difference is they are much easier to spot against a black background rather than blending in with the cover in the cutover. Post a stand up on the edge of the burn where you can see a large area and you will most likely be pleasantly surprised with how many you will see.
x2...I have seen them bed in the firebreak with stumps still smoking. They are curious about smoke and they react to fire just like they do to dogs, chainsaws, or any other disturbance. They don't flee into the next county, they just circle and come back to check things out.
Posted By: bigt

Re: Impact of burning during season - 01/30/16 08:49 AM

I ended up seeing a spike in the food plot that evening.....it didn't seem to bother him smile
© 2024 ALDEER.COM