Aldeer.com

Fawn Numbers this year

Posted By: ghost rabbit

Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 06:47 PM

With all the talk about deer numbers and how bad they are I thought I would ask how everyone's fawn numbers looked this year compared to others. On our lease the fawn numbers seem to be better than ever. I've got more pics of fawns than any of the prior 3 years we've had the lease. Last year I had groups of does with no fawns at all. This year I can't say for sure that I've got pics of does that haven't had them and many have 2. We have done nothing different to see these results. Two land owners on opposite ends of the property have said they did kill some coyotes this last year but I don't know how many. We are still getting coyote pics but doesn't seem like as many especially as many as the first year we got the lease. I sure hope this trend continues because it wouldn't take many years at this rate to really see good gains. The land we hunt is around 450 acres.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 06:48 PM

What I've seen has been good.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 06:58 PM

Good for me.
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 06:59 PM

Better so far from what I've seen.
Posted By: RonBuck

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 07:08 PM

no fawns here
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 07:10 PM

Seen very few with my own eyes and have very few pics of them.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 07:21 PM

Seen ZERO with my eyes, and just a couple on camera.

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt Brock

Who is the state bioligist for lee county ?
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 07:33 PM

We are seeing good #s in Monroe co. Saw numerous doe with twins and lots of singles. Some spotted and some not. Seeing very few does without little ones.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 07:38 PM

Good year in Blount county where I hunt. I've laid eyes on ONE on our farm, but that's an improvement from the previous several years.
Posted By: rackdisaster

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 07:43 PM

More than ever at my places!
Posted By: 3006bullet

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 07:59 PM

Three years in a row with no fawns
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: RonBuck

Brian Grice is the private lands biologist.
Posted By: jdgalloway

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 08:12 PM

Seen a good number of fawns on camera and in person. Hopefully that trend continues to happen.
Posted By: talltines1

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 08:12 PM

Chilton so far is a bust on fawns and bucks I have as many as 10 grown does in a picture with one fawn.I had pictures of around 15 bucks last year 8 were shooters the rest should be good deer this year.but so far I have 2 bucks I get pictures of constantly.there were 3 my son killed the best one a good talltine 8 point during first time on youth weekend. Im just puzzled maybe there waiting on the rut.not seing no sign of rubs or scapes.I got plenty of preety greenfeilds not just the cheap stuff I planted deer magnet and alabama blend.I do have an ace inthe hole a 200 acre clear cut that is 3 years old got some good deer on it but im waiting on the rut dont want to go in there a shooting I had some big deer on camera back in august I got 4 greenfeids on it . That might be were my bucks are holding up at it joins my other400acres but a cross the road.

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 08:14 PM

Brian Grice is the private lands biologist.

Thanks I'm going to give him a call and see if he will come out here and take a look .. I can walk down logging roads around here and see more coyote sign than deer sign . Deer numbers are definitely down here , this is my only second year around here but I can tell you it's not good .
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 08:39 PM

Seen a ton this year, in person and on camera. Oddly enough, I haven't seen the 1st coyote, and I've only heard coyotes at dark once or maybe twice.
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 08:48 PM

I have seen more does and fawns on cam this year, and in the field than in a long time. Most does look like they have a pair and might have one that had three.

No big bucks yet, few small ones. But not unusual for me. Only 65 acres and limited cam placement. Expect to see the big ones wandering thru any day now.

Interesting corollary - only one yote on cam this year, compared to many in last cpl of years. And MUCH less dogs running deer this year. Only have the dogs going thru on cam cpl times this year, and physically saw them go thru once and also one run a buck. That is down remarkably from last year.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 08:53 PM

Some one should do a study.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 08:58 PM

Looking good on our place in Wilcox County
Posted By: Possum Hunter

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 08:58 PM

Lowest I've ever seen on our property that is covered with does... I've yet seen a doe with a small one this season or had very many pics of them...
Posted By: khunter

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 09:07 PM

More fawns this year on camera and in the fields, especially doe's with pairs.

Edit: Like some have stated above, we haven't gotten any pic of yotes this year. Haven't actively hunted them, but we did manage to kill 5 last year. Also haven't heard any this year either.

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 09:15 PM

Dang kinda reminds me of an acorn thread
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/03/15 09:40 PM

Dang kinda reminds me of an acorn thread

We used to ask members how many bucks versus does members seen threat ht year. It was about equal to as some seeing no bucks at all to some members seeing very few does yet seen a lot of bucks. And then there was all variables in between.

Noticed the trend of the same members seeing about the same as far as bucks to does each year?

Was it where they hunted on the 5,000 acre?
Was it how they hunted, ridges versus drains or whatever?
Was it type of habitat, hardwoods versus young cutover versus a mixture with natural regrowth?

There is too many variables to say. I feel the same as to the number of overall deer sitings, fawn sitings and or recruitment, etc.....

as to the question, I'm seeing about the same number of fawns as last year and the year before and so on....
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/04/15 09:35 PM

Bumper crop of fawns around my house. More than I've seen in several years
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/04/15 10:10 PM

I have seen several fawns this year. But have seen more adult does without fawns than I have in the last five years.
Posted By: wbpc

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/04/15 10:15 PM

We seem to have a lot more fawns this year than the past three years for some reason. We have done nothing different than usual and I really figured our fawning habitat is worse now than three years ago due to young pines starting to shade the understory over a pretty large area.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/04/15 11:31 PM

We got piles of fawns
Posted By: bigt

Re: Fawn Numbers this year - 12/05/15 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Ben2
We got piles of fawns

Could you give a few piles to me? My bears and coyotes are still hungry.....
© 2024 ALDEER.COM