Aldeer.com

Safety Line for Lock ons

Posted By: ghost rabbit

Safety Line for Lock ons - 10/29/15 06:59 PM

My brother and I set up a double stand set up today with a lock on and climber in one tree. We are going to use these to hunt double with our kids. We plan on using these setups until they are old enough to climb. My main concern is safety. I want them connected to a safety line from a harness at all times. I've never done one like that and wondering if anyone could give me some ideas or point me in a direction for supplies and what I'll need.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 10/29/15 07:31 PM

Tie a rope at the bottom of the tree and stretch it to six feet er so above the stands and tie it. Attach harness with a prussic knot that slides up and down the rope, if ya fall it catches ya. Attach at the ground and unattach when ya get back to the ground.
Posted By: CD

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 10/29/15 07:31 PM

HSS Lifeline. CD.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 10/29/15 07:34 PM

Hunter double safety line.

http://www.eders.com/muddy-safe-line-30-ft..html?&gclid=CMjhuYv56MgCFdgVgQodR_QDCw

God Bless,
David B.

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 10/29/15 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
Tie a rope at the bottom of the tree and stretch it to six feet er so above the stands and tie it. Attach harness with a prussic knot that slides up and down the rope, if ya fall it catches ya. Attach at the ground and unattach when ya get back to the ground.

You have a rope you recomend for the tree and for attaching to the harness?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 10/29/15 07:37 PM

I always used one of the climbing ropes, 1/2" or so.
Posted By: Wadenthebushes

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 10/29/15 07:44 PM

This X 2! Buy you some good paracord. Google prussic knot and learn thoroughly how to tie it and use it. Good luck. Be safe with those boys.

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 10/29/15 08:28 PM

Appreciate all the help. I went ahead and bought the hunter safety line BOFF posted. We plan on putting up a couple more of these setups so I may also try making them myself.
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 10/29/15 10:07 PM

Exactly. All my stands have the static line and prussic knot. Great setup and very effective.
Posted By: reeve025

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 10/30/15 08:41 AM

I made one using double braided dock line from Academy. You can buy a 25ft long peice for $15 and then 15ft of rope for the prussic knot for $10.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marine-r...hildCatid=15348

I also bought some bluewater 11mm static rope off ebay for cheaper per ft than the rope from Academy. Now I just got to figure out what the post office did with it!!!
Posted By: garyo

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/02/15 07:57 AM

amsteel rope get it at west marine ,small line is 1400 breake strength. .26 cent a foot.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/02/15 08:54 AM

If you decide to make one yourself, make certain that the diameter of the rope you use for the prussic knot, is SMALLER than the diameter of the static line. It must be smaller in order to grip as it should.
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/02/15 08:51 PM

I've made up several of these using an appropriate work load rated rope that is both weather and uv proof to prevent material breakdown. I use 5/8" for my safety line and 3/8" for the Prussic Knot. Buying a 100 foot roll or more is the cheaper way to go.
Posted By: JA

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/02/15 09:05 PM

I buy mine. Got three for $65 at the Buckmasters Show, can hardly make them for that.
Posted By: truedouble

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/02/15 09:08 PM

Cabelas has them on sell right now. I just bought 3 for $79. You can also buy a life line with double loops, made specifically for two people/ two lock on's. I think they are $35 each. My son is still too young to bow hunt but in a couple more years I'll be buying some of the double life lines so we can bow hunt together.
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/02/15 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: truedouble
Cabelas has them on sell right now. I just bought 3 for $79. You can also buy a life line with double loops, made specifically for two people/ two lock on's. I think they are $35 each. My son is still too young to bow hunt but in a couple more years I'll be buying some of the double life lines so we can bow hunt together.

that's a good deal. paid 99 for 3 a month ago. reflective to so they show up funny in trailcam pics when theyre in the background. Heres a lockon I set up for my wife. tied excess of the lifeline to closest tree.:
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/02/15 09:44 PM

I "think" that a fall rating on a rope is supposed to be 10x your body weight. I use 1/2" steel cable. LOL

I tried to buy some climbing rope and make my own but I would have been just as cheap to buy the pre made ones and I know they are safe.

Finding rope for the prussic knot was the hardest part.
Posted By: Kounse

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/02/15 10:48 PM

If you hunt out of a lock-on and you're not using these incredibly easy-to-use LifeLines and you have kids that depend on you, shame, shame, shame on you.
Posted By: rut_n_strut75

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/02/15 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Kounse
If you hunt out of a lock-on and you're not using these incredibly easy-to-use LifeLines and you have kids that depend on you, shame, shame, shame on you.
X2
Posted By: Crimson Hunter

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/02/15 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ghost rabbit
My brother and I set up a double stand set up today with a lock on and climber in one tree. We are going to use these to hunt double with our kids. We plan on using these setups until they are old enough to climb. My main concern is safety. I want them connected to a safety line from a harness at all times. I've never done one like that and wondering if anyone could give me some ideas or point me in a direction for supplies and what I'll need.

I use the premade ones by summit and HSS. Just curious on how you will use climber if you have sticks steps or screw in steps for the lock on? wont they get in the way of climbing with the climber?
Posted By: Crimson Hunter

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/02/15 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Crimson Hunter

I use the premade ones by summit and HSS. Just curious on how you will use climber if you have sticks steps or screw in steps for the lock on? wont they get in the way of climbing with the climber?

Maybe was a stupid question. I suppose you will use the steps and just carry the climber up and set it up...correct? Just trying to visualize you set up because I like the idea for hunting with kids.
Posted By: jdhunter2011

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/03/15 01:36 PM

Will this work for a static line?
http://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=987&idcategory=72#.Vjj_CNKrS1s
Then use the 4mm cammo rated at 1000lbs for the prusik knot???
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/03/15 02:23 PM

Put these on all the trees that have lock-ons:

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safety-Syst...words=life+line

And carry one of these with me for my climber or when I just want to use it in a ladder stand:

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safety-System-Rope-Style-Strap/dp/B015YVWEA8/ref=pd_sim_200_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51kyMUJx1RL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0Z0RWTYW62E1ETB8BDSP

Soooo easy to use, at a minimum get the $18 one and carry it around with you for lock-on or climber. Unless you just absolutely don't care about yourself or any of the people that care about you. And for $18, can you really justify making your own?

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/03/15 03:01 PM

That single is a good deal and is hard to beat. I figured I could Build them for around $12 with the materials I listed above. That would be enough for me to have 6 more so I would have one in every tree I climb
Posted By: garyo

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/03/15 04:50 PM

while your building the lines, add one more prusic line once tie the knot the drop should be 3 to 4 feet, keep in your pocket till needed if you fall ,it will let you make a step so can recover easy. prusic step line will be a big loop, when you step in it, it should be about 4'long.then you can stand up.

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/03/15 09:33 PM

Maybe was a stupid question. I suppose you will use the steps and just carry the climber up and set it up...correct? Just trying to visualize you set up because I like the idea for hunting with kids.

I just set the climber up reverse to the lock on. So its already set up in the tree. So you would be using it as a lock on stand. We actually run the cables behind the bar for the hang on so that the climber has little room to move.

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/05/15 11:35 AM

Good Idea Garyo, I put a long piece of large parachord in my safety vest last year for just that. I did make 3 last night. Real easy and was kida fun to do. Bought the rope and connectors from tractor supply. You can order the rope online cheaper. I ended up with about $16 ea. My weakest link is the rope I used for the prusic knot. It was only rated for around 400lbs. When I find some better 3/8 I may replace them.
Posted By: reeve025

Re: Safety Line for Lock ons - 11/05/15 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: jdhunter2011
Good Idea Garyo, I put a long piece of large parachord in my safety vest last year for just that. I did make 3 last night. Real easy and was kida fun to do. Bought the rope and connectors from tractor supply. You can order the rope online cheaper. I ended up with about $16 ea. My weakest link is the rope I used for the prusic knot. It was only rated for around 400lbs. When I find some better 3/8 I may replace them.

the 3/8" double braid dock rope from academy has a 3700lb tensile strength and 740lb safe work load.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM