Aldeer.com

Shooting a hog with a bow

Posted By: forten

Shooting a hog with a bow - 10/09/15 09:11 AM

Come Thursday my number one objective is to harvest a deer but via my cam pics I have a great chance at a hog. Never killed a hog much less with a bow and I've heard the vitals are protected. Where should I shoot them to be able to retrieve it without tracking a mile. Will a neck shot drop it? May be stupid question but I don't know.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Shooting a hog with a bow - 10/09/15 09:17 AM

neck...NO

shoot em low and forward, thru the lower shoulder 1/3 the way up the body. Do not shoot em "behind the shoulder" as you will get the guts and not recover the hog.
Posted By: QDMAlan

Re: Shooting a hog with a bow - 10/09/15 09:20 AM

Posted By: ivanwright

Re: Shooting a hog with a bow - 10/09/15 09:23 AM

Originally Posted By: QDMAlan

The watermark is unfortunate on this image... looks like the hog ate a small bowhunter.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Shooting a hog with a bow - 10/09/15 09:38 AM

My favorite shot on a pig is quartering away, sneak it in right behind the shoulder blade and get the heart. If you hit the shoulder blade dead on broadside the arrow can just bounce off.

Re: Shooting a hog with a bow - 10/09/15 09:40 AM

if you hit the shoulder blade you hit way too high....
Posted By: forten

Re: Shooting a hog with a bow - 10/09/15 09:46 AM

Thanks guys. I guess a mechanical head is a no no. I shot rage last year, and have some left over. think I'm going to get some ramcats today.

Re: Shooting a hog with a bow - 10/09/15 09:57 AM

I'd shoot a good solid cut on contact head, two or four blade. I do not use three blade heads on hogs, as I have had bad penetration problems with them in the past.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Shooting a hog with a bow - 10/09/15 12:10 PM

I always shot mine just behind the front shoulder. I shoot deer the same way.
I shoot Thunderhead 100s.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Shooting a hog with a bow - 10/19/15 12:16 PM

I switched to Ramcats try those
Posted By: Seminole93

Re: Shooting a hog with a bow - 10/19/15 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer
My favorite shot on a pig is quartering away, sneak it in right behind the shoulder blade and get the heart. If you hit the shoulder blade dead on broadside the arrow can just bounce off.

^^^THIS^^^
© 2024 ALDEER.COM