Aldeer.com

Wheeler/Swamp hunting questions

Posted By: MacNasty

Wheeler/Swamp hunting questions - 10/08/15 09:47 PM

I hunted Wheeler a few times last year and saw plenty of deer, all does, and have scouted it hard the past month, but I'm new to hunting swamps and open hardwoods. I mainly hunt thick hilly land. Anyone have any tips on patterning deer in swamps? With all of the acorns and cornfields they have food everywhere, and I have not noticed any heavy bedding areas. I only hunt the south side of the river.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Wheeler/Swamp hunting questions - 10/08/15 10:08 PM

While we're spraying wheeler during the summer we see some monsters get up in the beans. Biggest free range buck I've ever seen was behind the beer store on 67.

Re: Wheeler/Swamp hunting questions - 10/09/15 12:02 AM

There are some monsters up there for sure. My uncle used to flintlock hunt up there a lot in the 90's. His buddy made a small drive through a thicket and a monster came running straight at my uncle. His shot blew one of his back legs basically off and it ran off into a swamp under the I-65 bridge and died. They came back after the water level dropped and found where someone had already cut its antlers off. He's killed countless deer and big bucks in his life with his best scoring 148. He swears this deer made his biggest look like bambi. Guessed it'd score 170 +/-
Posted By: Cutover

Re: Wheeler/Swamp hunting questions - 10/09/15 04:43 AM

Use thermacell!
Posted By: 163dm

Re: Wheeler/Swamp hunting questions - 10/12/15 08:42 PM

257wbymag,
Which side of wheeler do you guys work? North or south of the river?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Wheeler/Swamp hunting questions - 10/12/15 09:03 PM

Both. From jolly B rd to hwy 31 on north side and from visitors center to the mussel camp on south side.

Re: Wheeler/Swamp hunting questions - 10/12/15 09:35 PM

South side only for me. Telucah Rd. and Sharps Ford Rd area's.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM