Aldeer.com

Shoulder shots

Posted By: jrs89

Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 08:55 PM

How many people put one in the shoulder its self vs right behind it? I shoot shoulder. Take out the front running gear and they can't go far!
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 08:57 PM

either or.. I shoot buckshot a lot and when they running I aim of the end of the nose, and it'll put it in the neck shoulder area. But with rifle, I like the crease where shoulder brakes. Or the shoulder, it don't matter to me, according on the shot
Posted By: shootnmiss

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 09:04 PM

I like hitting the shoulder. Ain't had one to run yet when there.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 09:06 PM

Doe= neck if possible and behind shoulder if not.

Nice buck= neck on close shot or square in the shoulder.

BIG BUCK = shoulder and possibly follow up for insurance
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Big buck you shoot till you run out of shells or he quits breathing.. Piss on this watching him run off, saying "Oh, good shot" You shoot till the gun goes click, or he stops breathing.. grin
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 09:08 PM

As close behind the shoulder without hitting it, if it's standing broadside.
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 09:10 PM

I like this assessment.... thumbup
Posted By: charlie

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 09:11 PM

I always shot behind the shoulder for years. Now I shoot the shoulder if broadside. A high shoulder shot if I have time and a good rest and they drop where they stand.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 09:17 PM

Base of the neck if I'm steady. Behind shoulder if I can't get steady
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 09:26 PM

Double lung, behind the shoulder
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 09:29 PM

I'll take what I have.

I prefer a double lung behind the shoulder. Those high shoulder shock the CNS shots will lose you a deer eventually, if not several. That won't happen with a double lung.
Posted By: jrs89

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 09:30 PM

Runnin dogs I always aim for the head if I got a scattergun but if I got the rifle it's neckish shoulder till it clicks! I use to be in a dogin club but not any more me and 3 buddy's run dogs usually one time a year on nat forest now
Posted By: bill

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: daniel white

Big buck you shoot till you run out of shells or he quits breathing.. Piss on this watching him run off, saying "Oh, good shot" You shoot till the gun goes click, or he stops breathing.. grin

That's what I do. I will unload the whole magazine on him even after he is on the ground if he is even twitching. I killed one 2 years ago that I shot 4 rounds at and reloaded and shot a 5th time. My brother and Brother in law were not far from me and they swore that it was my cousin shooting because he had a BAR and the shots were so fast. Big horns and adrenaline can get that bolt working like greased lightening. BTW, my first shot was a good one but he was running right by me so I didn't see any reason not to fire all I had.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 10:08 PM

Yeah Cmon!
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
As close behind the shoulder without hitting it, if it's standing broadside.

Same here. But if its a doe and im steady its going in the noggin.
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 10:48 PM

I prefer to shoot a doe in the head or neck. I'll shoot a buck in the shoulder. Those Nosler BT's drop them every time.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 11:50 PM

Lost my first deer ever this year on a shoulder shot. I thought the shot was great. I usually shoot right behind the shoulder but it still looked good.

2013 Hoyt Carbon Element @ 60lbs
Rage Hypodermics Broadhead

She came in perfect broadside at 15 yards. I make this shot 100/100 times in my sleep. I saw that the arrow was sticking way out and knew right away I was in trouble.

Arrow didn't go through her shoulder blade. It was a light rain and I found the arrow 30 yards away. It was broke off 2 inches behind the broad head. There was a small amount of blood on the arrow with some hair.

Three off us (all very experienced trackers) looked for her for over 5 hours that night and again the next morning for another 3 hours. We never even found a drop of blood or another hair anywhere.

I got a GSP a few weeks later that is a great deer tracker. Sure wished I had her that night though.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/03/15 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt Brock
I'll take what I have.

I prefer a double lung behind the shoulder. Those high shoulder shock the CNS shots will lose you a deer eventually, if not several. That won't happen with a double lung.

Yep
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 12:23 AM

I'll take what I have.

This core-lokt shooting statie speaks the truth.

1) you have to shoot the deer to kill the deer. So the "take what I have" applies at times.

2) you pop them lungs, they ain't going far. Period.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 10:00 AM

I used to but haven't in a while. Going for tight behind shoulder now.
Posted By: garyo

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 10:15 AM

shoulder, there down pdq take it home.
Posted By: booner

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Honolua
I'll take what I have.

Yep

I lost two or three this way. Watched them wad up right in front me. Before I knew it, they got up and hauled arse.
Posted By: Blong

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 10:40 AM

I prefer double lung also but will shoot shoulder. 180 gr 3006
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 11:55 AM

I'm interested in hearing what ya'll do differently when you have a bow, not a rifle
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Rocket62
I'm interested in hearing what ya'll do differently when you have a bow, not a rifle

Double lung.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 12:17 PM

Behind the shoulder, as tight to the crease as I can get it.

With a rifle I'm an equal opportunity shooter. Take what's given to me. However, I prefer the base of the neck shot if I have it and he's within 150 yards. Anything over that and I shoot mid-shoulder.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 12:24 PM

My shot placement is the same, regardless of the weapon.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 12:27 PM

Behind the shoulder is my first choice. I've never lost one that I shot there. I don't like shoulder shots. My son shot a doe square in the shoulder and she ran almost 200 yards, nearly crossing the property line. Her leg was spinning like a windmill as she ran, but running that far sold me off shoulder shots.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 12:36 PM

lol , ever how he's standing on a nice buck .

doe ,,, lung shot ,lung/gut, neck , head , them shoulders has a good bit of meet on them .
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 12:48 PM

Who has ever shot one in the hindquarters (on purpose or not) and was that shot effective to anchor the deer for a follow up if needed? I've never purposely shot one there but about 15 years ago I did shoot a small buck in the hindquarter after my arrow hit a limb. I swear as serious as I'm sitting here typing he ran about 200 yards away and started feeding again. The arrow only got about an inch of penetration and fell out after one jump.
Posted By: tenthlegionnaire

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 12:52 PM

Double lung or my favorite if there close enough is the Texas Heart Shot cause I like to put it in the anal every once in awhile. ( theirs not mine) grin
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 01:20 PM

(gun hunting)quartering away, i shoot for opposite shoulder.. quartering too, I'll shoot the shoulder on this side.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 01:24 PM

I always shoot with a gun just like a bow if I can. If one is peeking around a tree about to run, I will cut his head off though.
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 01:42 PM

If at all possible I shoot mid shoulder or behind shoulder and try to knock out off shoulder with a gun that has been my go . In my mind it takes out the front axels, front wheels , transmission and the motor if compared to a car . Don't think I've ever lost a deer pinning the front shoulders together. With a bow not as good success so I just double lung with a bow
Posted By: dreadpiratebob

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 02:11 PM

Rifle, double lung, though I'd consider a shoulder shot if it was open.

Bow is double lung each time, every time.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 02:25 PM

High mid shoulder to hit brachial plexus for gun.

Bow and does - low and behind shoulder.
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 04:19 PM

Tracking a shot deer is fun, when its someone elses. I shoot high shoulder for DRT.
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 06:58 PM

About same. Definitely Neck if doe and close with a rifle. Shoulder if big buck or not close. With a bow I try to go for shoulder or behind the shoulder.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 07:31 PM

6" below the ear in the neck if possible.
Posted By: Brian_C

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: bill

That's what I do. I will unload the whole magazine on him even after he is on the ground if he is even twitching. I killed one 2 years ago that I shot 4 rounds at and reloaded and shot a 5th time. My brother and Brother in law were not far from me and they swore that it was my cousin shooting because he had a BAR and the shots were so fast. Big horns and adrenaline can get that bolt working like greased lightening. BTW, my first shot was a good one but he was running right by me so I didn't see any reason not to fire all I had.

Shot your first turkey the same way! Bird didn't have a feather left on his neck and chest! rofl
Posted By: bill

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/04/15 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Brian_C
Originally Posted By: bill

Shot your first turkey the same way! Bird didn't have a feather left on his neck and chest! rofl

I shot a few more like that since then. I don't liIke seeing one get up and run off. Besides, I was shooting your shells at the first one, so it didn't hurt me none.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/06/15 09:23 AM

I'm seeing a lot of Sportsman's Channel trick shooters out here in aldeer land.

It isn't a question of if it is going to bite you, it is when...
Posted By: booner270

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/06/15 10:19 AM

Shot placement for me is all about angles, I draw a line in my mind where the wound channel will be, and let er rip. If they are perfectly standing broadside then I'm taking the shoulder, Lot less tracking if the front wheel is gone.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/06/15 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Avengedsevenfold
I'm seeing a lot of Sportsman's Channel trick shooters out here in aldeer land.

It isn't a question of if it is going to bite you, it is when...

ever thing can be done perfect and still bite . yep it's goona happen if you hunt enough .
Posted By: ALarcher

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/07/15 04:18 PM

Shot a 225 pounder last year at 441 yds. Hit him in the shoulder and he dropped.

I think it depends on the gun you shoot too. A bigger gun is going to pack more of a punch and have more impact inertia. If I was shooting a smaller gun/bullet I'd probably concentrate more on the boilermaker shot.
Posted By: bowhunter86

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/10/15 09:33 AM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms
Who has ever shot one in the hindquarters (on purpose or not) and was that shot effective to anchor the deer for a follow up if needed? I've never purposely shot one there but about 15 years ago I did shoot a small buck in the hindquarter after my arrow hit a limb. I swear as serious as I'm sitting here typing he ran about 200 yards away and started feeding again. The arrow only got about an inch of penetration and fell out after one jump.

First deer I killed with a bow I shot in the hindquarters, purely just inexperience on my part but she folded up within 20 yds. If you hit that artery back there they die quickly. That being said I would never intentionally shoot one there.
Posted By: effinacotton

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/10/15 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: bowhunter86
Originally Posted By: 3FFarms

First deer I killed with a bow I shot in the hindquarters, purely just inexperience on my part but she folded up within 20 yds. If you hit that artery back there they die quickly. That being said I would never intentionally shoot one there.

I had the exact same result on my first bow kill, which was also accidental. Having said that, I would never take that shot on purpose
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/10/15 11:35 AM

A sliced femoral artery is a dead deer within a few yards. Never intentionally done it, but have killed a couple with a bow like that.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/10/15 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: ALarcher

I think it depends on the gun you shoot too. A bigger gun is going to pack more of a punch and have more impact inertia. If I was shooting a smaller gun/bullet I'd probably concentrate more on the boilermaker shot.

The caliber doesn't make any difference, bullet construction and shot distance matters.

I prefer lung shots, dragging a deer 40-50 yards isn't a daunting task. Head, neck, shoulder shots can be counter productive.
Posted By: MattIce

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/10/15 08:00 PM

Behind the shoulder. Lose to much meat with a shoulder shot.
Posted By: bowhunter86

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/10/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: MattIce
Behind the shoulder. Lose to much meat with a shoulder shot.

X2
Posted By: roltide

Re: Shoulder shots - 08/11/15 05:23 AM

Shoulder
© 2024 ALDEER.COM